which macbook to buy, high end macbook or normal pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by samkupo, May 22, 2008.

1. samkupo macrumors newbie

I've been using wnidows ever since ive had home computers but i think im finally making the switch,

I've decided I don't want to wait for any redesigns or any crap.

but I can't choose between the 3 configs I've attached 3 screenshots cropped in on the specs.

if I got a macbook I think I'd like the white. but im not sure how well it lasts compared to the blackbook...

also if I paid the extra for the pro what would my extra £250 be getting me.
    I'm worried about the reduced wireless signal but the screen would be a plus.

thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      40.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      39.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      43.5 KB
      Views:
  2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Depends, what do you want to use the laptop for?

3. diepc macrumors newbie

diepc

which mac

as psoted by daneoni, it really depends what you want to do. if you are going to game alot and play graphic intensive games, get the MBP for the powerful 8600. if you are a graphics person, also get the MBP. if you are neither of these things, get the white macbook. i say white b/c you can get the same specs between black and white, and the white MB is cheaper that the Black MB. it is an extra 150 or 200 UDS so about 75-100 euro for the black case. you do get a larger baseline HD with the black, but for a few bucks you can upgrade that via newegg.com, or direcltly from apple and the WMB will still be cheaper than the BMB. other that the GPU, you only get a few nuances like multi-touch with the MBP, also the MB also has about half of the multitouch capabilites as the MBP anyway. apple just kep the MT off the MB b/c they want the MBP to remain the power house of the lineup

4. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

hey.

well as the above posters said it really depends what you need it for.
    however, i would go with the blackbook if you are already upgrading the hdd to 250GB. the black looks sleeker imo and is going to cost ~60(UK).
    the white should also suffice but its up to you.

the pro however does get pricey so only if you need the extra boost for hardcore stuff or gaming, otherwise i think a macbook should do the job.

let us know what you intend to do with your laptop and we could give you better advice.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, I third that motion! I'm sorta' biased though, 'cause I'm an owner. Had the mid-level MB 2.16 White, and moved up to the new BlackBook and have never looked back. Come to the DarkSide Luke! :p

6. Biolizard macrumors 6502

Ah, do I see UK Higher Education discount? Join the club!

I'll be getting my first mac within a month and I was getting really wound up about whether I'd get on ok with a normal Macbook. Would the keyboard be too small for me? Or the screen? How would the lack of an LED screen make a difference?

As said previously, unless you need that graphics chip then probably best to save the money and get a blackbook, which will save about 250 quid. I was debating this question too and here's what I found out:

I went to Regent Street today and had a good play for an hour, and thankfully the Macbook is fine for my needs (an MBP would've been getting close to my budget limit), since I game on a desktop. The resolution is pretty good for a 13 inch screen, I won't miss multitouch much and the keyboard is of a similar size. Don't forget weight too, and that MBP won't fit so easily into a backpack either as an MB.

If you can, definitely visit an Apple Store and just move between desks trying out each laptop to find out its pros and cons (read up on OS X first at http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/ and http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/ so you can dive right in there). Get a feel for each laptop and then make your decision based on that, because a 2D image doesn't really help much in my experience.

7. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

you know what they say, Once you go Black.......

I totally agree with the posters above, go with the black it is beautiful!!! :cool:

8. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

First of all, if you;re going to be gaming, don't even bother with the MBs. The pro will be the only Apple laptop that will game well.

Another (small) benefit to the pro is that the speakers are actually pretty good, compared to the MB's tinny crap-speakers.

I'm not biased towards the MBP, in fact, the only newish Apple laptop I've owned has been the black MacBook.

9. samkupo thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for this reply :) really helpful to hear someone who was in the same situation :x

I dont game on my laptop at all maybe some mmorpg but nothing demanding like a fast action fps game. so I think the graphics arnt a problem. I'm just more worried about the screensize/quality really.

most people are suggesting the blackbook but I think I prefer the look of the white macbook with the same specs as a BB. since most apple wires and such are white it looks nicer imo? I wish I could go to a store and check them out but there isnt one for litterally 150 miles!

thanks I think I'll get the 1.jpg I attached in the begging... but im still not really 100%... ahh so indesive!

10. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I think the two color choices are equally as good looking. If you keep your hands clean, the white will show no prints. I had my white one about 10-11 months and it looked brand new when I sold it. I have a black one now, just for kicks. Less than useless sidenote; as an icon, the blackbook means, top-of-the-line. Fact- the white one is a better deal.

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'd say if you can afford the lowest macbook pro then you should get the macbook pro. Just that much more worth it.

12. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'd say if you can afford the lowest macbook pro then you should get the macbook pro. Just that much more worth it.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Even if you never plan to game, you may need the dedicated graphics card for watching 1080p movies. When you do, you will be glad you spent a little extra for the benefit.

14. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Sorry for the double post. I think my mouse clicked 2x when I clicked on post, dont know how that happened.

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Not to mention if you want to drive a future 30" external display or hdtv's will help ALOT more with the dedicated gpu.

16. Biolizard macrumors 6502

Woah, hang on there. What MMOs will you be playing? The X3100 graphics chip inside the Macbook is pretty naff and will barely run the likes of WoW at a playable frame rate from what I hear, but don't expect something new like Age of Conan to run at all. Most games won't play nice on a Macbook; there are some threads in the Apple Games section (a search is best).

If you have the cash available and you're not sure, then just get the MBP actually. The worst thing in the world would be to get an MB and then regret it later on. The MBP is a slick machine and can play Crysis on medium (source: mate) with a few tweaks so it's more futureproof than the MB.

17. samkupo thread starter macrumors newbie

when I said mmorpgs I ment pretty simple ones like iRo (ragnarok online) Im not sure if thats even mac compatable so :/

I think I'd like the led screen more but I'll need to buy an N router too probably the £65 one or time machine.

18. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

I contradict this.

My friend owns a G4 Powerbook, with a 1.25 GHZ Processor and 1.25 GB RAM with an ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 (Not sure if it is better or equivalent to a MB's graphics card). It runs completely well with WoW running in full screen with music streamed through iTunes and relay voice chatting in two different rooms on Ventrillo.

I'm just saying if a G4 PowerBook can handle that, then surely a modern MB can too.

Comments?

19. Biolizard macrumors 6502

Ah, that's because it's a PowerBook, of which the MBP is its successor. The MB succeeded the iBook, and whilst I don't know if the iBook had a discrete graphics processor, the MB certainly doesn't and can't handle most games because of its integrated graphics.

Why, you ask? To get people to buy the MBP instead. Clever Apple.

Modern isn't necessarily better, alas.

20. samkupo thread starter macrumors newbie

done.

mainly using this machine for photography and lots of pictures after deciding i'd need a n router anyway I've chosen the white macbook with the specs of a BB. and got a time machine. I think this will do me fine as gaming doesnt really bother me on computers.

the only concert was the screen, but I think i cant worry about that right now being inbetween college and uni. so if I want a bigger one eventually I'll buy one of their extrernal screens because the macbook will be powerful enough for me for at least a year.

thanks guys :)

21. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

But still, don't you think with all the speed boost of the modern MB, wouldn't it compensate for good play on WoW or MMOs on that level just fine?

I swear that game doesn't need so much graphics power as in a MBP. A MB can do fine. What do you think?

Has anyone tested this on a MB to ensure it works well?

22. luisgab macrumors newbie

if you plan on gaming go with the MBP, if not go with the blackbook....

I have it and love it everytime I use it....

23. tomthedude macrumors member

tomthedude

Normal Pro, definitely. If you can afford it, that is. The price difference isn't too much but the difference between MB and MBP are great so if you can afford one go pro!
    -Tom-

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

How's that possible? They have a 5 minute double post counter.

Radeon 9600 > X3100

On 3DMark 05, a X3100 gets a 600 and the 9600 gets a 900.

25. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

my macbook was a little slow with wow and well it kinda pissed me off and its the 1.83ghz model