Which Macbook to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by i-sidd, Jul 1, 2011.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

I am planning on getting a new 13" macbook pro soon. I will have Aperture and silver efex pro2 and color efex. Should I go for 4gb or 8gb ram. If 8gb should I buy from apple or rest of the 4gb from third party.

When will there be a refresh, I can probably wait until new one is released in the next few months. Also, should I go for 750gb hard drive as I plan on having windows as well. The only reason for windows is so that wife can connect to work virtual login.

What specification do you suggest for these programs to run fast and smooth?

I have heard that silver efex pro 2 is slow, on various forums. Is this to do with underpowered computers or the program itself no matter how fast the computer.

Kindly suggest

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

ram is best upgraded aftermarket because that way you save a lot of money. you can't "get the rest of the 4gb" as both ram slots are already filled with two 2gb sticks. you have to buy a whole 8gb kit which is two 4gb sticks, which should run you around $50-$70 depending on which brand you go for or whether or not you can get a sale. i'd recommend getting the standard frequency that your mbp is shipped with (1333 mhz) and and just go for the cheapest you can find. g.skill has a newegg deal right now for 8gb for $50.

you can upgrade the hdd aftermarket as well depending on your storage (more space) or speed (ssd/higher rpm) needs. i upgraded my hdd via apple for peace of mind mainly, so i'd only have to take up warranty stuff and replacement inquiries with them, as hdds are bound to fail. it's no different though, in fact if you can get an internal with a 5yr warranty usually, which beats the applecare 3yr. it's just preference i guess, although you always save money aftermarket.

i'm not sure about those specific applications but that's my .02 on upgrading.