Which Macbook to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by coolstuff92, Oct 26, 2012.

1. coolstuff92 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a dilemma. I'm in the market for a new Macbook and would like some advice on which one to buy (I've tried reasoning with myself and ended up going around in circles).

Currently I have a 2008 White polycarbonate Macbook (Macbook 4,1). I am in dire need of an upgrade as my screen has started playing up (the backlight doesn't come on when the screen is open at a useable angle) and is generally slow. I had originally been waiting for a 13" rMBP but I don't want to pay that much for such an underpowered laptop, especially since I don't intend on upgrading for 3-4 years.

So my dilemma is 13" air or 15" Retina. I'm a university student and therefore will have UK student discount (15% off) so bear this in mind. The purpose of this computer would be an all round general use computer ie. general web surfing, editing documents, playing some games and potentially a small amount of mathematica or programming (I'm studying maths). I probably wouldn't carry this laptop around as all I need is a trusty pen! I certainly like the idea of a Retina display and for the same storage and RAM I get the 15" Retina for £280 more. I guess the big question is: Is paying £1600 today worth it compared to paying £1300 for a maxed out Air or even less for a regular (but outdated) Pro. Budget isn't an issue.

TLDR: Need new Macbook. Can't wait till Haswell. Budget not an issue. Will be used for casual gaming and general use over next 4 years. Which should I buy.

2. TheManOfSilver macrumors regular

TheManOfSilver

If you don't need it to be portable, why go with a laptop at all? Why not wait a couple of months and grab an updated iMac? Or, grab a Mac Mini now (almost the same spec processor as a Mac Pro from 2 years ago) and pair it with a great display and an iPad for portability if you decide to ditch the pen? The Air would probably serve your purposes, but if mobility is really not needed for you, you will get much more for your money going with a desktop.

My 2p ;)

3. markus843 macrumors regular

I'm not sure if you were referring to buying a Macbook air, but my opinion is to get the cheapest base-line model, because you were saying that you aren't intending on upgrading for years. If you spend the extra money for a 15" or something, it will just be overcome next year. The reason i'm saying to get the cheapest one is because they all do the same thing, if you are just intending on using it for general things, and gaming. I currently have the latest 13" baseline model and I can play games like Skyrim (40 fps), which is really good (with windows 7 boot camp). If budget isn't an issue like you stated, I guess you could go for the more expensive one, but pretty much you only get a bigger screen that has retina display, and slightly better gfx card. Both are good but the baseline model would probably suite your needs almost as good as the upgraded ones.

4. coolstuff92 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do need to move it every other weekend or so when I visit home from university, I just don't intend on taking it with me everywhere I go. The problem I have with the Air is that if i'm spending £1300 on something I don't intend on moving all the time, why not pay £300 more and get way more "Bang for my buck" (or maybe "Punch for my pound")

5. TheManOfSilver macrumors regular

TheManOfSilver

Fair enough. But if mobility isn't of supreme importance for you, you could opt for the non-retina MBP. You'll get the exact same processor and graphics. You just don't get the fancy display. You can customize the drives as well. Even with the SSD option you save some money over the rMBP.

If cost is really no issue though, sounds like you're a candidate for the 15" retina. It's a beautiful machine. Just may be overkill for your uses (but it will be fun overkill!)

6. coolstuff92 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is my primary concern, is it overkill. But my dilemma is that, will the other options be underkill, and more so, in 2-3 years time? I really wish my current laptop hadn't screwed up till next year, as a Haswell 13" rMBP sounds like my ideal laptop.

7. zipur macrumors 6502

No overkill,
    Get the 15 rMBP if money is not an issue. Better to have than not have wonderful screen and give you the power that will last a long time. You may not feel you need the power today, but by this time next year who knows you may wish you had a bit more. Keep in mind no matter what you get today, it will be outdated with the next refresh. So as many many post have stated get the most you can afford and be happy.

8. iPersian macrumors regular

i if was in your position (actually i am) i would not buy any of the retina machines. they are first gen and have first gen troubles. wait until the next revision or buy a non retina. ive returned to faulty rMBPs. the screens are faulty and the internal graphics card cant pull it off.

Go for the non retina (anyone)

9. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Travel and mobility seems to be your thing.

13" MBP. Get an external monitor if you have to down the road.

10. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I agree with the above.

Get a base 13" MBP, upgrade RAM and storage as necessary, and add an external monitor if you need to. Faster than the Air, expandable/upgradable, and much less expensive than a 15" retina.

11. stevelam macrumors 65816

If budget isn't an issue than why bother even asking? Makes no sense. On the other hand, spending $2500+ on a computer just for "general usage" is stupid.

12. coolstuff92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just because budget isn't an issue doesn't mean I don't value my money. I just means i'm not limited by what I can spend. My question is more, which would I regret more in 2 years time: Spending too much unneccesarily, or not having what will be standard features like a decent GPU in 2 years time.

13. stevelam macrumors 65816

In 2 years it won't be a decent gpu anymore. And you clearly don't seem to have any use for it right now anyway.

14. coolstuff92 thread starter macrumors newbie

But I do play games, I'm just not buying it specifically for games. Also, if I bought something with lower specs, wouldn't it be even more outdated in 2 years. I've noticed you've been telling loads of people to not buy the retina MacBook pros, even the 15". I agree that some people change laptops every year, but this is something I'll be using every day for the next 4 years. Another thing, fine say what you want, but can't you at least be polite when voicing your opinion. Sure I'm not a pro user by your standards but like I said, I value my money and based on what countless others have said, the 15" seems like the way to go. Thanks for your opinion, but it looks like I won't be listening to it.