Which MacBook to buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by weddlec, Jul 16, 2017.

1. weddlec macrumors member

Spent the last 3 weeks over analyzing this decision. I was in the market for a new MacBook Pro when the 2016 MBP came out. I hate the idea of the touchbar. Useless to me, other than for fun stuff like the Knight Rider mod. It also put the typically low-end 15" MBP from the $2000 price range to the $2700 range. I waited for the 2017 refresh hoping for a 15" with no touchbar. I'm convinced at this point that they aren't getting rid of the touchbar until another big shift comes along. I don't want to wait that long.

I've been seeing lots of sales lately. My preference would be for something with 16GB ram and 512 SSD, but I can't find anything that fits that in a 2016 or 2017 model for less that $2000. I don't want to go back to a 2015 model. If I could land a 15" (I like that screen size) new for under or right at $2000 I would. I don't see that happening. This leaves me with stuck between a MacBook or 13" MBP without touchbar. I require the 512 SSD, I'm most flexible with the RAM.

I have seen 2016 MacBooks with 512 SSD for $1275. All the MBP with those specs are in the $1600 range. Is it worth that much extra to go from a MacBook to the MBP? Either one will require a multiport dongle. Either one I will be hooking up to a much larger monitor when at home. I take it with me quite a bit, but no extensive plane traveling. Any help would be appreciated.

In a perfect world I could snag a 2017 15" MBP without touchbar for $2000.

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

If you are fine with the CPU and performance of a MacBook, then you will be fine with a 2015 MacBook Pro.

The MacBook is better for travelling based on dimensions and weight.

3. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

A 2015 MacBook Pro with 15 inch screen and no touchbar would be perfect for you,as that's exactly what you describe when you write down your specs.

4. CatherineVeraGat Suspended

Get the 12-inch MacBook or the MacBook Pro 13.3-inch without TouchBar.

Both is available with 16GB of memory, and 512GB SSD. Both is available for less than $2000.

5. Vjosullivan macrumors regular

Vjosullivan

You don't mention anywhere what you want to do with your new laptop. Without that information, all advice is useless.