Which Macbook to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by emma13, Jun 9, 2009.

1. emma13 macrumors newbie

I'm a graphics student; I use programs such as Photoshop a lot. I'll be attending my first year of college next year and I'm a little stumped on which one I should buy ... I heard there's a difference between Macbooks and MBPs for people like me who tend to use paint programs a lot, is this true? Which one would be more recommended? (I'm on a tight budget as well :p)

(Also I'd be really grateful to anyone who's fluent in French to tell me what these sentences [about Apple Store taxes in France] mean:
    2. Les biens doivent être exportés au plus tard à la fin du troisième mois suivant le mois où l'achat a été effectué.

3. Le demandeur doit apporter la preuve de l'exportation sous la forme d'un récépissé estampillé par les douanes.

I thought taxes were already included in French pricings?)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Laptops just got updated yesterday. If you're into graphics, I recommend you to get 15" 2.66GHz model because it has both GPUs (9400M + 9600GT).

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

For basic Photoshop use, the entry or second-tier MacBook should be alright. You might find that the larger screen size and better display on the 15" MBP line is more handy for your use.

As for your translation issue, my French is a little rusty, so I had a look and then compared to what Google Translate has to say. This is the gist:

Are you planning to export your purchase for sale? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

4. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I would say get the best one that you can afford. Any of the MBP's will work for you. It is just a matter of what size screen you want, 13", 15" or 17".

5. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

I recommend the same as him , get one with a dedicated graphics card

6. emma13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the advice! I'm definitely considering the 15" :)
    I'm looking mostly for speed and being able to run a few applications all at once though.

scienide09: I live in France but I'll be going to NYC this August. After TVA the prices here are a lot higher than the State's, but I read their FAQs and they listed these 3 conditions that if I qualify for all 3 of them, I can ask for a refund (whatever it's called, my English is a little rusty :p).

I have an aunt that lives in Alabama and was wondering if she bought it for me via the French Apple Store, would she qualify for all the 3 conditions (the 1st one being the client can't be a permanent resident of an EU country - does that mean the buyer or the receiver?) and won't be needing to pay the TVA?

7. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

As for the ins and outs of the policies themselves, you'll have to check with Apple or customs, and perhaps both.

Sounds to me like you're making it more complicated than it really needs to be. If you're living in France, why not just buy it there? Alternatively, if you're going to be visiting the US and staying for a while, you can pick it up here.

I'm not sure why you would have your US-based aunt buy from the Apple France store and then try to export it out of France. What have I missed?

8. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

MBP 13" should be fine.

about the customs and price: being that you're going to US, get it there! You'll save a lot, and also, if you have a student ID, also a foreign one, they should apply you the student discount in the Apple Store. Last, but not least: check which is the tax in Alabama. If high, then try to plan a trip in one of the zero taxes States.

9. emma13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd buy it here but like I said, there's about a $200 - $300 difference if I buy one from the US. I thought if my aunt could buy it from Apple France for me while I'm here, and then I'll go to the US this summer (still unsure whether or not she needs to pay the TVA) ... ehh. I'm not even making sense to myself.

LAS.mac: I'll be checking the tax, yep, thanks for your help!