Which Macbook to buy??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thashef, Oct 27, 2009.

1. thashef macrumors newbie

Hi Guys, I am going to be buying a refurb Macbook. I need help deciding which one?

Option 1) Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz with 2GB RAM and 250GB Harddrive
    Option 2) 13" Macbook Pro - 2.26Ghz with 2GB RAM and 160GB Harddrive.

The difference I found so far:
    1) Screen - Pro wins
    2) Harddrive - Macbook wins
    3) Processor - Macbook wins.

I read some where that the regular Macbook use SATA 1.5Gbit/sec, which would only make a difference with SSD.

Gaining Firewire and SD Slot from Pro is not big enough to go one way or another. Am I going to notice the difference between the screens and the processor in one vs. other.

Which one should I get considering both of them are the same price.

Thanks

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The hard drive can easily be upgraded. What's battery life worth.

3. thashef thread starter macrumors newbie

Wife is going to be using it, so its going to be pretty much plugged in most of the time. But she refuses to get a iMac.

Do you know if the UMB have SATA 1.5 or 3.0?

4. thefaceless macrumors member

I'd go for the pro, personally. Hard drives are easy and cheap to replace, but screens aren't - and general consensus seems to be the pro's is noticeably better. The processor difference is pretty much negligible, to be honest. Then there's the battery life, etc...

5. tec2030 macrumors newbie

I have the Number 1 option that you are describing and I like it a lot! So I say go with that one! :D

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If the screen on the non-Pro is NOT the 9C89 or 9C8C it'll look alright but still has narrow viewing angles.

In addition to that, if you don't need FW, the extra couple hours of battery life but DO need separate audio in/out the non-pro will do just fine for you.

Personally I'd take the Pro :(

7. thashef thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I figure out which screen it has? I think I can play the return rebuy game for a while.

8. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Get the Pro, chances are the screen is superior. The hard drive is easily user upgradeable, and you put a much faster 320 GB 7200 rpm drive for pretty cheap these days, and the difference in processor, makes no difference you will not even notice a difference in the performance between these two. That and the pro doesn't look like a flattened marshmallow. :p

9. Vashed555 macrumors newbie

Vashed555

The 9C8C is the newer/better screen. Au model. Which one are you thinking?

10. Vashed555 macrumors newbie

Vashed555

Not to rag to much on this, but they're BOTH $999 refurb on the Apple Store site...

HD are at least $100 for any REAL difference in capacity over the 250, the screen is NEVER a big deal unless you're an anal graphic designer, which people who buy a 13.3" MBP should never be, and the diff in processor power means that the 2.4 actually has a higher geekbench score in several multitasking areas that make it slightly easier in every day use. Couple that with the user replaceable battery and EXTREMELY easy to access HD bay (which .... HUGE plus here... ) accepts 12.5mm 1TB drives, and you have quite a deal for an older "non-pro" model.

I've got my 2.4 alum book, and I love it. Of course, the decision was easy as I paid $800 new for it, but I love it, and I don't regret the purchase over a 13.3 pro any day.

11. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Mmm...I'm pretty sure the launch displays were 9C89 and 9C8C. The updated pre-Pro screens were 9CA5/6/7/8...

Au= Gold, Al is what you're looking for!

12. thashef thread starter macrumors newbie

How did you get it for $800?? If I could get it for that much then this decision would be alot easier.

13. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

There were pretty deep price cuts to be had at stores like Best Buy when the Pros were released. Apple stores may have cleared the left over 13" Unibody non-Pro models too.

May not have been this guy's case, but definitely saw some sales at the local BB.

14. Vashed555 macrumors newbie

Vashed555

OK, let me clear this up then.

An 'AU' screen... Au Optronics, the manufacturer of the screen. I have an updated screen, the 9C8C in my Aluminum MacBook.

As for the $800, check your local Best Buys... I just bought mine at the start of September. Just call around and ask. Beware though, they may no longer have an Apple Warranty.