Which Macbook to Choose?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by poozer115, Nov 13, 2008.

1. poozer115 macrumors regular

poozer115

Hiya everyone. I currently am the proud owner of an aging Macbook. The recently updated white one. I think my computer is due for an update within the next year, but if I buy a new macbook I will wait until next fall. I expect there will be processor upgrades, dropped price, and the student printer/ipod deal. All of these benefit me. However, I really would like a matte screen. Glossy has never been my thing. I've heard you can purchase a film to put over the mac screen that makes it matte. Has anybody tried this and does it work well?
    In summary; I write word documents, listen to music, browse the web, and game casually. If matte screen matters to me a lot, but memory doesnt really (I only need about 80 gb for what I do), should I wait until the next macbook update (and buy a film or cross my fingers for a matte option), or would I be better off purchasing an old matte MBP, when they are cheap used next year. Thanks for any help!

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

3. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

It doesn't look like matte is coming back. I would make the decision
    based on how badly you need a new one now. Always wait if you can.

4. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I used to think I could only have a matte screen when I used my PB12 as my main computer, but now, after six months with my MB, I am very happy with the glossy screen. Ok, I only use it indoors, but I never have a reason to wish for matte again.

From what you need, you could get away with a MBA if you can afford it! I'm a similar mac user to you and thinking of getting one next year. The screen on that is supposed to be superior to the MB.

5. yoppie macrumors 6502a

If you want the matte screen, you're looking at a "classic" MBP. I don't see Apple bringing it back but it would be nice to be wrong. If you're looking at the regular MacBooks, you're out of luck there. The matte screens were never available for those and it will likely remain that way.

If you can afford to wait, do so. If you need one now, the "classic" MBPs are not a bad buy if the matte screens are a must-have.

6. poozer115 thread starter macrumors regular

poozer115

Thanks for all of your helpful responses! I think my question has changed a bit more now ;). I'm pretty sure I want matte. Based on everything I've read it seems the "classic" MBP would best fit my requests. However, how much do you expect it will be next year? Also, will it still be a competitive computer in terms of GPU and VRAM by next year? Whatever computer I choose, I hope to use it to run recent applications, games, and operating systems for the next 2-3 years thereafter. Will the Macbook Pro be able to do that for me, or would I be better off with an updated Macbook with nehalem and a film? Thanks again!

7. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

You don't need a new computer for the stuff you do. Hang on to it. I've held my G4 Powerbook for 5 years and it still does the stuff you do just fine.

Get an xbox or PS3 for games.

8. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Good advice. It's always funny to read a post from someone that wants a computer to last 3-5 years (or 2-3 in this case) when they're looking to upgrade every year. I should add that I have a Core Duo MacBook and it does all the things the OP wants to do fairly well, the same should be true for his younger/newer MacBook.

9. poozer115 thread starter macrumors regular

poozer115

Thanks for all of your help :). However, I think that you don't fully understand my situation. I've had my macbook for two years now, and dont plan on updating it until next year... so i'm really not the sort of person that updates every year. I truly will put 2-3 years into my next machine. I'm just asking in one years' time if the MBP will be able to be competitive, and stay that way for the 2-3 years I'll use it. Thanks again!

10. poozer115 thread starter macrumors regular

poozer115

Sorry, I just read my original post and it was kinda misleading. I own a 2 year old Macbook, not the updated one. Bad wording, sorry.

11. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Sorry for misjudging the age of your MacBook.

If matte is your only choice, I would hope it would last for you. Personally, I'm not sure I would purchase one of the "classics" next year.

The only way I would do so would be if Apple still offered them refurbished since it would be covered under AppleCare. You could then add 2 more years if you purchased AppleCare within the one-year time frame for extra protection.

12. poozer115 thread starter macrumors regular

poozer115

I've just done some research, and I'm pretty sure I'll get the MBP. Next year, if I get a refurb MBP with probably the 15 not 17 screen matte, 512 VRAM, and 2.5 processor, it should be affordable and meet my needs. I figure the processor's better then my macbook which will be nice. Also, 512 VRAM runs programs video games really well right now, and I'm a casual gamer so I'm not all freaked out about high texture and stuff, and the most demanding program I use is Logic Express. So is it's safe to say I can run current video games for several years to come, as long as I put them on low resolution and texture detail, and continue to edit high-quality music. Is this correct logic? It's 1,500 now, so is it fair to say I could get it maybe 1,200 next fall? Also, does anyone know if student discount and ipod/printer deal applies to refurbs? Thanks again!

13. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

In computer business, a year is a long time. Who knows what will be available in the market, let alone the Apple refurbish store at that time. May be none of those will have matte screens.

With all due respect, unless there's a chance that you may consider buying a computer now, it's too early to make computer purchase plan for one year later.

Besides, it seems that glossy screen is the future, whether we like it or not. You may be lucky to find a matte screen for your next purchase. But what about the next one, or the one after that?

14. poozer115 thread starter macrumors regular

poozer115

Touché, I guess I'll just wait 'till next year and see what happens. I've lived with my current macbook screen even if I do prefer matte, so I guess I can just keep bearing with it if it comes to that. Thanks for everyone's help and advice!