Which MacBook to get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tyga, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Tyga macrumors newbie

Which MacBook should I get? I'm a Petroleum Engineering major, and I've held off on a laptop purchase while waiting for the 13" retina. I'm not sure how much power I'll need, but whichever computer I select, it needs to last for at least the next 5 years. Price really isn't an issue, but I'd rather not overspend. I have about 40GB of data that I need to keep on my HD. Portability is also an issue. I'll be using this in class. Should I go for a 15" retina, 13" retina, or something different altogether?

2. simsaladimbamba

Do you use special software? Is that software GPU dependent? Is it compatible with Mac OS X? If it is not, you need to take into account, that you need to create a separate partition for the OS the software is made for, thus the 128 GB SSD might be not enough, depending on the size of the applications and their libraries.

And if you need to run another OS natively, also think about the fact, that you will have a resolution of 2560 x 1600 or more on those "tiny" screens, compared to the 1280 x 800 pixel you get with Mac OS X, albeit with much more detailed pixels, but the screen real estate in normal mode is the same.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

If you want to minimize the possibility of having two few resources (CPU power or memory) of the next 5 years...and maximizing resale value later on....get the 2.7 CPU and 16GB memory. Likely you do not need to go for the 768GB SSD. Save some money by staying with 512GB SSD. Remember you can have terabytes of disk space on your desktop. The SSD is what you have to have in the field.