Which Macbook would be best for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wildwizard99200, Nov 28, 2007.

1. wildwizard99200 macrumors member

All right, so I am a hopeful mac convert. I'm utterly tired of Windows as I have seen the same features and issues for almost 12 years. I can't say I have any experience in the Mac department, but recently I have been going to our school's Mac lab. Very nice, sleek looking, and I haven't had any trouble yet with them and since they are used to the public, I find that very impressive.

Back on topic~ I'm a college student, obviously. I'm currently looking at the macbook and macbook pros.

Background info:

I'm currently a Biology major, so I will be writing a lot of discussions and other stuff. (P.S. I haven't gotten into any upper division classes so I'm not too sure what to expect)

I would like to learn some audio/video/pictorial editing techniques as I have always been fascinated by such things but neither have the software/time/instructions to learn (I'm not a great self-learner).

What I like about each model:
    The macbook has a decent look, and seems very easily portable. I don't care too much for the small screen or the keyboard. I would also like an independent video card just incase I decide to start playing a MMO again. Would the CPU dependent video card be enough to handle such things as well as the audio/video/pictorial editing?

The macbook pro has an even more decent look. I like the aluminum case very much so but I'm curious as to if it is easily scratched or other cosmetic issues. The backlit keyboard look pretty cool too, but is it really all that useful? If I got a macbook pro it would defiantly be a 15" model with a 2.6 Ghz processor. 2 gb of RAM seem fine, and so does the hard drive as I will be using an external anyways for the time machine function.

I would like something to stand the test of time, be future proof, that is sorta lightweight, and has an excellent battery life. I currently have a HP DV9230US model and I HATE it. It has a 1.67 Ghz processor, 2 gb of RAM, 17" screen, 1.5 hour battery life, and a 256 mb video card. Any chance I could sell this hunk-of-crap for a decent price? I payed $1500 for it and I would like to get atleast 40% of the price, it is only Feburary old.

Also, do you recommend getting a refurbished mac? I'm curious as if they have any hardware issues. Also I would be worried that they might look scratched or just worn in general, is this a concern? Would this be the best considering I'm "financially challenged?"

P.S. Should I wait for the mac thingy in january? I'm not too interested in an ultra-portable laptop with flash drive based memory, nor a tablet. Also, are there going to be any revisions to the macbook line that has been rumored? I would like to stop using this laptop as soon as possible!

Thank you very much for looking and hopefully answering my question!!!

2. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

" I don't care too much for the small screen or the keyboard. I would also like an independent video card just incase I decide to start playing a MMO again."

That alone, appears to answer your question: MacBook Pro

And yes, wat until January because even if there's just a small spec bump you're not interested in, the same models you'd buy today will end up in the Refurb store with a nice discount - after the move to Santa Rosa, the core 2 duo 2.33GHz MacBook Pro saw $400 off.

3. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Basic model MacBook Pro if you plan to do video editing.

4. wildwizard99200 thread starter macrumors member

So, just basic? the 2.2 Ghz? I dont know....

Does anyone know the expected revisions in january?

5. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Basic model is plenty, and it's the best value in the long run. If you need max performance, just buy some more, but I thought you were asking opinion about basic MacBooks so I believe the cheapest pro-model would be a very nice surprise for you.

Nobody knows but given Apple's history January update is a possibility. If you can, it may be worth waiting. If you can't, buy now what you need now and never look back.

6. wildwizard99200 thread starter macrumors member

Ah, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it to sound like I was looking at just Macbooks.

Is there a huge speed difference between the 2.2-2.4-and 2.6 Ghz models?

Remember I am trying to future proof it and I don't want a 2.2 that is going to be out of date next year.

7. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I think the very reason they introduced a 2.6 GHz option was because the MB's processor speed has caught up with the low-end MBP.

In January I expect to see MBP specs that further differentiate the MacBook Pro from the MacBook.

8. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Speed difference is not night and day, especially between 2.4 and 2.6 models. The reason why 2.4 feels faster (than 2.2 model) on video editing is because it has twice the graphics memory compared to the 2.2 model.

I myself have been using the 2.2 base model (hard drive upgraded to 160GB/7200rpm) since june and I'm very satisfied with the performance. I can always upgrade ram later if I ever feel the need, but so far I've never even been able to use the full 2GB despite using Adobe CS1 and Office v.X which are PPC code and therefore require Rosetta emulation. My last laptop was 1.25GHz PowerBook and all PPC apps run faster with this new one.

Final Cut Studio runs like a charm as well, but that should be expected as it's Universal.

9. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

No matter what you buy it will be out of date in a year. My opinion is why spend hundreds more on a 200mhz speed bump in the proc when you can use the same amount and max out the RAM.

10. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

...or upgrade later and spend even less ;)

11. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Wait until after MacWorld in January. You don't seem to have a "must have it now" need and between the holidays, there aren't that many weeks until Apple is rumored to introduce new laptops.

12. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

I agree with Dr. Dastardly, here. I'd rather pimp out the RAM in the machine than max out the processor and have to dump yet more cash into the beast to have it perform at top game. You won't be disappointed w/ whatever you buy, if you max out the ram. When I bought the white macbook 2.0 c2d (pre SR) for my grandmother, I upped the ram to 2 gigs from just 1, and could notice a difference in system behavior. Of course, I usually have every app open on the darn thing, but... RAM makes a huge difference on OSX, IMO.

13. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

top o' the line macbook white has got your name on it. :p

14. Stolencheese macrumors newbie

I can only see Macbook Pro's needed if you wanted to do some gaming, MMO? More than likely WoW or similar specs (What isn't nowadays). Just get a macbook! They look nice, they're white, they stand out, They're just lovely.

From me,
    A week-old macbook user. :D

15. powerchord macrumors member

If you don't mind the smaller screen and aren't planning on video editing, then go with the MB. Otherwise I would definitely go with the MBP (and if you could wait a few more weeks, even better!).

16. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Seriously, have you done even one day of real work?

17. wildwizard99200 thread starter macrumors member

I don't mind the regular macbooks but the keyboard looks awkward and isn't removable. Plus the screen size is pretty much the main turning point for me as my laptop now is 17", I personally think it is too big, but i think 13.3" is too small. Plus the dimensions on a 13.3" look really awkward, cant describe it, but it does.

I think I will wait...after this "MacWorld" thing, what is the next major apple event in which they might announce something?

18. Stolencheese macrumors newbie

Have you actually used a macbook, Dimension wise they have a tiny screen but I think it's about perfect.

19. wildwizard99200 thread starter macrumors member

No =(. I don't even know if I would like it, but I think I would like it. I looked at the 15.4" and it looked very good!!! Also, the icons/workspace on the macbooks look too...cramped. I would like to try video editing but nothing too major as I am a newcomer to all forms of media editing. The iLife '08 movie makers/ iDvd maybe be all I use. Then for picture editing I might try GIMPshop (does this program work on mac?) I would like to get all I can while I have the money.

No one never answered, how much could I get for my current laptop? Stats are on the first post.

20. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

Get a Macbook pro if you intend on doing some gaming...otherwise a MBP and a macbook with an external monitor are almost identical, with the latter being slightly cheaper...so you get the handy portability of the macbook and the screen size of a desktop...just my opinion.

but if you need to do gaming..maybe HD video editing...then you need a MBP

21. wildwizard99200 thread starter macrumors member

HD video editing? So, a macbook works fine for video editing?

22. wildwizard99200 thread starter macrumors member

All right, I'm leaning toward the macbooks today, I asked my friend and he said the macbook would probally meet my needs. This forum says that also, I'm just making sure that this is indeed a good decision.

btw, whats the difference between a black macbook and the upper end white?

23. macman043 macrumors newbie

macman043

I would say a macbook is the better choice but it really depends on your lifestyle. I mean this in the sense that if you would like to have a small easy to carry laptop then the macbook is better but if you think you truly need that extra 2 inches of screen then a mbp. And now that the macbooks were just updated there very competitive against the mbp, their speedmark scores are very close to each other, they now have a better graphics chip in them which should handle an MMO game just fine. Now as for durability which you seemed interested in, their both good but have some drawbacks, the macbook is built with lower grade plastic in the apple standard and has been known to crack, and the mbp is really bad for denting, they both can scratch easy but its hard to notice unless its in the right light, overall the build quality on the mbp is better but your also paying an extra grand so it should be. And the difference between black and white macbook is color lol, obviously, anyways the black one has a matte finish on the outside and the white has a gloss finish and then they both have a matte inside, and specs wise they only difference is the hard drive, which the the white has 120gb and the black has 160gb. I have a white one and if i could go back and buy it again i would go with the black one, but its a personal preference so look at both in real life (if possible) and make a choice and go :apple: