Which MacBook would be better in the long run?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by spookys, Sep 19, 2012.

1. spookys, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

spookys macrumors newbie

Recently, I bought a 2010 MacBook White as my first Mac computer, and while I like it, it bugs me how you can easily see all the scratches. I've decided to trade it in and buy an aluminum MacBook (the sleek look got to me) but unfortunately, my pocket doesn't agree with the current prices for a new one, so I'm buying used.

My two main options is either a MacBook aluminum (5,1) or go for a 2009/2010 MacBook Pro (given I can find an acceptable price). Essentially I'm technically downgrading, but I think it'd be neat to have the "original Macbook Pro"; however, a lot of friends are telling me it's too old and to go for something newer. I'm not too familiar with Mac computers but I've been reading that they last longer than Windows; is there any real risk in buying an older model?

Regardless of what model I get, I'll be upgrading the HDD to an SSD and 8GB of RAM. The price difference from the MacBook and a MacBook Pro is roughly ~$200 in the used market. Since the 2009/2010 models have the same processor as the 2008 MacBook, would it better for my money to get the older model or should I just stick with something newer?

Any input on this situation would be most helpful!

2. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Both MacBook models are pretty good. I would go with the Aluminum model only because it seems like it's more durable. The white MacBook models tend to crack overtime and it makes the MB look horrible when it does. Also if you buy the 2.4GHz Aluminum Macbook you get the backlight keyboard. :)

Also if you would want to sell your MB later on, the aluminum MacBook would have a better resale value because they're no longer made in the MB line (not MBP line).

3. mwhities macrumors 6502a

2010 MB is my first Apple system too. I'm loving it, even more now that I upgraded the ram to 8G and the drive to a SSD drive.

I'd say go with spookys' recommendation if you really want to get away from it.

Are you looking to get rid of the Macbook? If so, how much? PM me if you want.

4. spookys thread starter macrumors newbie

That was my original plan! My friend's put into my mind that a Pro would be better since it's "newer" but if they're both technically the same, I'd rather save my money.

5. mwhities macrumors 6502a

6. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

There are two things to know..

Hi,

three things I want to add here that makes the choice easier:

Rule 1: Always look for a Macbook Pro with a dual graphics card!
    This means in case of a 2009 MBP, shoot for the one that has the nvida 9400 and the 9600 Gt. The reason is simple. If you go with the solderd solo gpu chip, you actaully get a macbook for a macbookpro price tag. Its not worth it. Macbooks and MacbookPros in those years had weak standard gpu chips. You will not get a balanced system if you go solo gpu chip.

Rule 2: Avoid the Macbook Pro 2008 model with the Nvidia 8600 chip. This was a catastrophe for nvidia and apple. Most main boards have been replaced by now, however they do not offer free swaps any more. So you would be screwed for sure.

Rule 3: The MBP 17' models are fewer and the target customers are usually different compared to the typical 15' buyer. Demand for 17' always was less compared to smaller sizes, hence canceling the 17' line all together this year. For you, this means you can get a cheaper and bigger computer that usually even has not moved as much. (They are often used as desktop replacements)
    On top of that, the 17' always came with the dual gpu.

7. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Hes looking at the 13 inch when have the apple in the 13inch range ever put a dedicated graphics chip in. Why are you talking about 17 inch when hes tight on money he have to get a first or second gen to afford one of those apple products hold there value very well.

Anyway I would look at the 2011 MBP I know theres no graphic boost but the jump from core 2 duo to core i5 is noticeable. I had a 2010 white macbook but like a previously poster said they do crack and apple replaced my whole top case including the screen 5 times before they said this is not good and gave me an MBP 2012. Now if you look on geekbench then you can get an idea on how the MacBooks your looking stack up. The jump between my white 2010 and the 2012 MBP is twice so I wouldn't go older than your 2010 because the mbp from 2009 has the 9400m which is defiantly not as good as the 320m in your 2010.

8. spookys thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm actually a she. :D Reason why I was still considering c2d was because it doesn't run half bad on my current MacBook. I can use Photoshop and multiple other programs simultaneously just fine. Granted, I upgrade the RAM but I see no real performance decrease anyway.

I looked at 2010 MacBook Pros like you mentioned and they seem to be in the $500 - $600 range which is about the same as the MacBook 5,1. I should go for the Pro then, eh? I guess it mainly depends how much I can get out of this when I sell it.

I haven't exactly settled on a price yet.

9. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Oh sorry :) Yer there's nothing wrong on the C2D but I feel if you going to spend some money then your want a longer support from apple in terms of os as well as a speed increase which not really getting. So is the shiny body, backlit keyboard, firewire and an sd card slot worth the extra money. In my case I chose the white one over the pro in 2010 because to me it wasn't worth the extra £150 (or $200.) The pro is lovely but can you wait a year or two save up, sell the old machine and get a new pro??

10. spookys thread starter macrumors newbie

In two years, won't the resell value on this model go down a few hundred? I had considered waiting but as it stands, if I trade in this model now, I can get more money for it to go towards my "new" computer.

11. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Yes thats very true. But your not really improving what is inside the laptop just the outside and a few other features. If you were looking at the 2011/2012 models rather than the 2009/2010 models then its probably more worth it because your getting an upgrade on the inside as well as the outside.

12. spookys thread starter macrumors newbie

It looks like 2011 models go for $800 - $900. I still want to, at bare minimum, upgrade to an SSD since these models come standard with 4GB of RAM. Problem is, by that point, it'll be in the ~$1,000 range. I might as well buy a brand new one for $200 more. :( Or rather, $100 more since I qualify for the student discount.

13. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

It looks like this is going to be a difficult choice :/ yer you might as well go new in that price range, I got student discount with the old 2010 and free ipod touch (those were the days) which my dad got due to him chipping in with some money lol. I think its mainly up to what your finances think.

14. spookys thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not that bad but it entirely counts on what I get for this. Assuming I get at least $500 for this model, I'd have to come out pocket $400 - $500 which isn't nearly as bad as $1,000 all at once.

I just don't feel comfortable paying $1,200 for a new computer when I can buy an older model and upgrade it myself for a lot cheaper.

15. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

That is very true. But you cant upgrade the processor or graphics and only the 2011 and 2012 can take 16gb of ram compared with 8gb in earilier models and I think the same goes for Sata III which is 6 Gbps this will help the ssd. as well as 2012 has usb 3.0 so there are some things you can upgrade and some you can't you have to think whats important to you :)

16. spookys thread starter macrumors newbie

I won't need anywhere near 16GB though, aha. I don't game on my MacBook, that's what my PC is for. I only use my MacBook for designing and web development. This was a lot easier before you mentioned the processor for the 2009 MacBook Pro was slower than this model.

17. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

Oh right thats ok then :) The 2009 has a 2.26 at base and a 2.53 at the high end but even if you went with the high end which would cost a little more than the base you would still be getting a nvidia 9400m which is a step down from the 320m you currently have.

18. spookys thread starter macrumors newbie

I found this on eBay. Too bad I didn't have the money now because that's not bad for refurbished.

19. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

That is a good price on on apple refurbished would be $919 for the same spec but that means they come up at that price so I'm sure that when your ready to get another macbook there will be one on there waiting for you :)

20. spookys thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know anything about the Air? I know it can't be use upgradeable but it's a bit cheaper and it's looking more favorable.