Which Macbook would best replace my 2012 13" Non-Retina MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by viperGTS, Nov 13, 2015.

  1. viperGTS macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2010
    #1
    My MacBook Pro (13", 2012, non-Retina) is starting to show its age a little, so I'm thinking of replacing it. I haven't added an SSD or RAM to it yet, but for a while now I've been wanting a lighter computer with better battery life to replace it. I also want to use the computer for some gaming (though, rarely). That leaves me with 2 options: the retina MacBook, and the MacBook Air.

    So far, I'm leaning towards the 11.6" MacBook Air, but I'm wondering what you guys think. Here is a list of my uses of my current MacBook Pro:
    • Gaming (PSX, GBA emulators, Call of Duty)
    • Coding with Eclipse
    • Writing essays/making presentations
    • Web browsing
    • iTunes

    I'm not sure the retina MacBook Pro is the best option because it still seems like a pretty hefty computer. I plan on waiting for the next generation MacBook and MacBook Air as well, and this computer would become my primary machine. I'm really interested in the super-portable design on the MacBook, but I'm not sure if I can pull off using it as my primary machine. Ports are not an issue as I can simply buy extra adapters (which I don't mind; eBay is a great place for getting things like this), so my issue comes more with performance.

    Thank you!
     
  2. friedkimchi macrumors regular

    friedkimchi

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2011
    #2
    To me, the current generation of Air/Pro is getting a bit long in the tooth. Even with the Broadwell upgrade.

    I'd just swap in a Samsung Evo SSD, swap out the ODD and put in a 1TB HDD. You'll be fine with 8GB of RAM for Eclipse.

    With Skylake integrated graphics showing good improvements (based on the current Windows laptops with Skylake), I'd wait it out for Apple to refresh with Skylake.
     
  3. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2010
    #3
    Yeah, I'm pretty set on waiting for the next generation Macs. I'm not in a rush to upgrade!

    That being said, I'm still on the fence between the rMB and the MBA.
     
  4. resolutiontime macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2015
    #4
    i would do what friedkimchi suggested unless resolution is super important to you..
     
  5. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2010
    #5
    They didn't really suggest anything in terms of selecting a new MacBook. Like I said, I can live without upgrading my SSD/RAM, and use that money towards buying a new machine anyway.
     

Share This Page