Which macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by murrayjenkins, Jul 16, 2011.

1. murrayjenkins macrumors newbie

Right, I'm getting a macbook for college, and I want to make use of lion. The question I want to ask is do I get the unibody, or the older version with similar specs for cheaper and just use a magic trackpad? Does the older version support any multi-touch gestures? Thanks.

:apple:

2. [DL] macrumors 6502

[DL]

3. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5259f Safari/6533.18.5)

I have a unibody, it has 4gb ram and 500hd, and it can literally do anything I need it to do. Love it to death

4. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

I don't know where you're going to find a new in box of the pre-unibody white MacBooks. They were last made in mid-2009. I looked for one for a friend a year ago with no luck. You'd be hard pressed to even find an in-box refurbished one as Apple has stopped selling any pre-unibody MacBooks on their refurbished site.

That said, you could find a used one on Ebay, no doubt, but even then, you'd be wasting your money. It will not be a great machine to run Lion. The current unibody iteration, even, is becoming outdated as it is (spec-wise) and a refresh is imminent if Apple decides to keep the line. So, I would wait a week to see what goes on with the refreshes, that way you may be able to get new and refurbished white unibody MacBooks from the Apple online store at a good discount.

The non-unibody MacBooks do not support any multitouch gestures. You can scroll with two fingers but that is it. Again, it will NOT be a good machine with Lion. Enjoy whichever purchase you decide on! :)

5. pcomac macrumors regular

get 13" macbook pro for $999 at microcenter. you only pay $100 more but you get so much more and it will last you longer.