Which MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by papatya, Jun 18, 2012.

1. papatya macrumors newbie

Jun 18, 2012
    I'm a graphic design student. I want to buy a MacBook. However, I'm not sure which one to buy. I'm unstable between these MacBooks:
    - MacBook pro 15 inch Retina Display.
    - MacBook pro 13 inch not retina display.
    - MacBook air 13 inch.
    I want a Macbook that I can use Photoshop, illustrator, etc. easily with a high performance that the MacBook will not slow down and will not heat when using it long hours.*Which one is best for me as a graphic designer?*
    This MacBook will be my first. Waiting your help :) thanks.
  2. Sapientia macrumors newbie

Jun 18, 2012
    If you want to run programmes such as Photoshop/illustrator simultaneously, I would not advise the Macbook Air (others may disagree). So I would look towards the two pro models, then i suppose its a choice of money. Are you willing to pay the extra for the newer model with retina display? Although both models should be able to provide high performance and likely for fill your expectations as a graphic designer.

I have yet to have issues with my mac over-heating and after 2 years it can still run photoshop for hours on end =)
  3. papatya thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 18, 2012
    Thank you for your reply. Ok, I have removed air from my list. So, I only considering 13" and 15" MacBook pro. Is it hard to work on 13" MacBook pro when using photoshop and etc. because of the screen size? Also, is the 15" so large? Is it comfortable when traveling?
  4. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Nov 20, 2010
    ladner cdn
    Why take 13" air off your list? If you want laptop you can pack around all day (school ect) it's the way to go...i can't imagine packing around a 15 mbp all day...

Now lets just look at macrumors own spec sheet from other day...

id say 6785 geekbench score would be more then enough power...maybe just get the 8gig ram option (extra $100)

also the mba comes with 128gig ssd...and i can't stress enough,how much a difference ssd drives make! (i turned my old 2007 macbook into a real fast...loads apps faster then friends 2010 mbp...computer!)
  5. papatya thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 18, 2012
    I know that air is also perfect, I like all thing Apple :) I have removed from my list because I see that it isn't appropriate to my usage. I'll not pack around all day. I'll use it mostly at home. I want a MacBook that will be comfortable when traveling. I want a high performance MacBook (all of the MacBooks are high performance but they may different a little bit.)