Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RossMak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Hi Everyone

I have toyed for many years with plunging to get a Macbook and something always seems to come up that stops me, home improvements etc.

However I am pretty much decided on getting one in the next few weeks.

My plan is to use this as a home laptop, however I would like to do some video editing on this, I am a Mountain Biker and would be using a GoPro or Virb Elite on rides and would like to make videos for Vimeo, Youtube and Pinkbike.

My guess is I would be using iMovie for this, however maybe down the line this could become Final Cut Pro.

There would be some photography on this, but probably not a massive amount if I am honest.

The only game I would play would be Football Manager 2015 on it I am not really a laptop gamer.

The rest would just be standard home use, browsing emails, excel and word. I am kind of stuck as I am sure the 13inch will be fine, however not sure if the 15inch would be a better option as if I am honest I am not sure how intensive the video editing would be.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
The 13 would be fine

Hi Everyone

I have toyed for many years with plunging to get a Macbook and something always seems to come up that stops me, home improvements etc.

However I am pretty much decided on getting one in the next few weeks.

My plan is to use this as a home laptop, however I would like to do some video editing on this, I am a Mountain Biker and would be using a GoPro or Virb Elite on rides and would like to make videos for Vimeo, Youtube and Pinkbike.

My guess is I would be using iMovie for this, however maybe down the line this could become Final Cut Pro.

There would be some photography on this, but probably not a massive amount if I am honest.

The only game I would play would be Football Manager 2015 on it I am not really a laptop gamer.

The rest would just be standard home use, browsing emails, excel and word. I am kind of stuck as I am sure the 13inch will be fine, however not sure if the 15inch would be a better option as if I am honest I am not sure how intensive the video editing would be.

The 13 inch will handle that workload with ease. However there is something about your post that just makes me think you'll be happier with the 15. Couldn't tell you what just a gut feeling. If you can have a good play around with them in the shop and see what you like the feel of.

RossMak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
The 13 inch will handle that workload with ease. However there is something about your post that just makes me think you'll be happier with the 15. Couldn't tell you what just a gut feeling. If you can have a good play around with them in the shop and see what you like the feel of.

Thanks for your help. Your right I am edging towards the 15. Just more for personal preference I think.

I think I would definitely prefer the larger hard drive than 256 therefore I'm looking at a 13 inch top end which is 1315.20 after a works discount.

Or the top end 15 inch for 1879. (The base with 512gb is only £100 cheaper than this)

I want this to last me a long time. I just don't really know what to do.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
For video editing, even with iMovie, more RAM will help. Personally, the base model 15" rMBP will work fine. You might want to consider increasing the SSD to 512.

You won't notice that much difference with the Iris Pro graphics over the nVidia dedicated graphics.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
If you want it to last...

Thanks for your help. Your right I am edging towards the 15. Just more for personal preference I think.

I think I would definitely prefer the larger hard drive than 256 therefore I'm looking at a 13 inch top end which is 1315.20 after a works discount.

Or the top end 15 inch for 1879. (The base with 512gb is only £100 cheaper than this)

I want this to last me a long time. I just don't really know what to do.

Then go with the 15 inch, you edit video and that will probably end up being 4k video before too long.

The extra screen estate, quad core processor, and superior graphics mean that this will still be a powerful computer in years to come and it'll take what you throw at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.