Which Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nico Nic, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Nico Nic macrumors newbie

Nico Nic

Hi,

first i want to say hello. My name is Nico and i´m from germany. I never owned a Mac or a Macbook.
    I use a win7 desktop PC (build together)with 2x 24" TFTs for my workflow (gaming and photography with lightroom (Sony A7II)). I managed two websites, one is our soccer club and the other is our fireworker homepage.

Now sometimes i must go out and show someone Photos or Website work, so i need a secondary laptop. I have also order a drone and maybe i want to cut videos. Didnt have any experience in it, but heard good things about iMovie or/and FCP.

Also i´m very interested in MacOS. I like Windows 10 not particularly, so want to try something new.

Waiting since August for the new macbook. Its hard, that they don´t have a SD Card Slot anymore, but thats the future. I can use a adapter.

Now .. my problem ... what for a macbook should i choose.

Macbook 12 (m5 / 512)-> heard good things and bad things (keyboard stuck, Monitor going off) ... it is light but has only one port. But is "cheaper" then the other options ;) .

Macbook 13 Basemodel (i5/16GB/512) -> this one is heavier but more powerful and also small. New version of the butterfly mechanism .. (maybe no stuck keys anymore ?)

Macbook 13 with TB -> more powerful .. but .. i don´t know @ TB .. didnt think i will use this often.

So, I hope someone can help me in my decision. Thanks for your time, to read my text ... sorry for my english .. hope you can read what i mean.

2. Nico Nic thread starter macrumors newbie

Nico Nic

So nobody can help me .. maybe wrong forum ?

Anyway ... thx 4 reading .. hope you have a nice christmas time.

Bye
    Nico

3. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

I think a 12" MacBook can do the job, which is going out and showing photos and websites. It's really portable and has a great screen like the Pro, not too small to use in my opinion. The keys might get stuck sometimes, but this can be easily resolved with a vacuum cleaner (Apple even has a support document on this).

If you can spend the extra money, the non-Touch Bar MBP is a solid option. Nice overall performance with a bigger screen and extra port. You do mention video editing, I'd say this is possible on the MacBook but better on the Pro. It's just for a small amount of time though, so I'd say it's not worth the upgrade for just this task.

Maybe try one in a store to see how the portability is for both models, because this is the main difference.

BTW Touch Bar is a nice feature and that version of the 13" also pack a bit more power and two extra ports. Wouldn't upgrade for just the Touch Bar though as it is not that big a deal. I think the model without Touch Bar is good enough, but if you want to spend the money than you'll have a machine that is a bit better.

4. cameroncitro macrumors newbie

I use to have a Windows 10 Laptop and desktop that I used that for editing my Drone videos and Photos. I recently got the 13" MacBook Pro TB with 16. I love it compared to my old laptop.

I don't believe a MacBook would be able to edit video from a drone and I know it will not be able to edit video from a drone in 2 years. I'm not sure what drone you looking to get but I have a DJI Phantom 3 and Mavic. The MacBook could edit 1080p video but the Phantom 3 is 2.7 K and the Mavic is 4k.

I haven't been able to use the Touch Bar yet but Adobe Premiere just updated and now it has support. The 2015 Model or the Base 2016 without Touch Bar versions of the MacBook Pro would definitely fit your needs.

I recommend buying a MacBook Pro and using it for a week or two. I'm pretty sure they have a 30 day Return Policy( you should double check on that). See if you like MacOS. I still use my PC Desktop for gaming but I use my Mac for everything else.

5. Nico Nic thread starter macrumors newbie

Nico Nic

Hi,

thank you guys :) ... @cameroncitro ... i orderd a mavic pro drone (my first drone ever, just want to go slowly in the hole drone thing).

Best wishes
    Nico