Which Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aphexii, Jan 25, 2008.

1. aphexii macrumors 6502

I'm torn as to which Macbook to pick up.

I already have 4gb of RAM, and a 200gb 7200rpm drive ready to go into whichever I get, so ram and HD space that they come with is irrelevant to me. They also both come with Leopard and a Superdrive.

Black Macbook (refurb/Previous Gen) - $1070 (with tax)
    2.0ghz Core 2 Duo
    Intel 950
    Max of 3.3gb Ram
    iLife '06

White Macbook (new/Santa Rosa) - $1225 (after rebate)
    2.2ghz Core 2 Duo
    Intel X3100
    Max of 4gb Ram
    iLife '08

I'm leaning towards the blackbook, but haven't totally made up my mind yet.

2. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

I have the White Santa Rosa one, and I have to say..it's pretty nice.

What are you planning on doing with the laptop?
    Gaming? Work? Internet?

3. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Personally, I'd go with the Santa Rosa model because it's slightly faster, got a better integrated graphics and it will come with Leapard (and a superdrive where the other one will have a combo drive)

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

personally i'd go with the newer one for only two reasons:

'better' integrated graphics, the machine will last longer imo. and
    already comes with ilife 08, maybe even leopard (don't have to buy a life upgrade, unless you'd never use it, which then doesn't matter all that much)

5. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

Well they both come with Leopard and a Superdrive, so I'm ok in that arena.

My use consists of the following;

Internet/Web Browsing - 80% of the time
    Photoshop Post Processing - 10% of the time
    General Other Usage - 10% of the time

I don't plan to use it for any games. I had a Mac Mini for 2 years and was very satisfied with the experience and never really cared about the lack of game playing ability. I'll pick up a 360 or PS3 if the gaming bug bites again. Also, although the SR video is "better" than the previous gen, its still nothing compared to a real video card as far as I can tell.

I don't remember exact numbers, but from what I recall the Santa Rosa was only 4-5% faster than the previous gen macbooks (at the same CPU speed). So in my case the 200mhz would definitely make it faster, but I think the bigger boost will come from the faster HD.

If something takes 10 seconds longer in Photoshop (say a filter or something), I won't be upset. What concerns me about the White model is possible discoloration down the line, and the fact that I personally "prefer" the look of the black macbook.

6. Paix247 macrumors 6502

Yeah... don't get the black one just because its black. The white one has better graphics & will probably keep you happier longer. Go with the newer white one. My cousin has a black one, and I a white. His looks much more worn out than mine, even though we got them at the same time.

7. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree in part, that I would be happier with newer technology generally. But is the graphics really better in the grand scheme of things? Barefeats showed double frame rates with some games, but going from 4fps to 8fps isn't anything im concerned about as they both still suck :)

8. sickassdog13 macrumors newbie

sickassdog13

If you are considering a refurbed blackbook, then why not just get the refurbed white 2.2 SR I just picked one up for $1099 + tax?

9. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Santa Rosa - the faster model is worth the extra few bucks.

10. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

True... Didn't really consider that for some reason.... Hmmmmm

Are there any benchmarks to show the true difference in speed between the previous gen's and the SR's?

11. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Whatever you do, get a Santa Rosa. Either the white one listed or a BlackBook SR. Not the BlackBook listed on the cheap in your original post. Obviously, the BlackTax only gets you a different colour plastic given that you are swapping out the RAM and drive, but I can understand why you still might want a BlackBook.

Also, if you are going to use iWeb, the new iLife is pretty good and if you hate iMovie 2008, they'll give you 2006 for free. Personally, I think iMovie '08 is pretty great for most users.

12. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Always get the newest technology that you can afford. In this case, go for the Santa Rosa. It's newer and thus, better. A better graphics chipset, can support more memory, and even sports a faster processor.

13. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

In some cases, yes, but I don't know if that is right for me. Technically speaking, I can afford the MBP, but I don't need it.

I don't disagree that the newer model is better, I just don't know if the slight increases in speed are worth the increased price, for me.

14. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I'd get the Blackbook. That's the last model that'll allow you to run Tiger. You're limited to Leopard on Santa Rosa Macbooks. I'm not planning on upgrading to Leopard until 1.) all the bugs are fixed, and 2.) my programs require Leopard. "1" isn't likely to occur for another year, and "2" isn't likely to occur for at least three more. So right now, I'm using the most stable OS Apple has ever made (10.4.11), and have the option to "upgrade" to Leopard whenever I wish. If you want that option, get the black Macbook. By the time you need a new computer, you'll laugh at the thought that you spent more money on one obsolete 2ghz machine over another.

Just imagine..two years ago, people were probably debating whether to spend x on a 1.5ghz G4 Powerbook, or x+200 on a 1.67ghz G4 Powerbook. Fast forward to the present: what's the difference between those two computers? Who cares! They're both G4s, and there's infinitely newer stuff now. The difference is the person who went with the 1.5 now has a few hundred dollars more to put toward a new computer, should she decide to get one. Look at it that way, and the idea of spending more on tech that's going to be irrelevant in a few months becomes laughable.

15. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

after thinking it over and reading up on black vs. white, you guys are right... The C2D 2.2ghz White Santa Rosa for $1100 is a better deal.

As much as I like the black, the constant oily fingerprints would drive me batty.

Thanks for the help!!

16. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I was gonna say white too, good decision!