Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitch95

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
Hi this is my first post so bare with me.

I'm thinking about making the switch from PC to a macbook and was wondering which white macbook to go for. I don't think i would notice the difference between the 2.1 and 2.4ghz so i was wondering what the restrictions of a combo drive would be.

Thanks, any advice would be appreciated.

matthewlesh

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2007
I believe the difference is simple, a combo drive doesn't allow you to burn DVDs while a SuperDrive does.

Anyway i'd recommend you head to the 2.4GHz.. you'll be able to get a lot more out of it with the ram doubled and a bigger hard drive.

Just a note if you can wait a little while you could get a far better computer in the form of the rumoured September upgrade.. the buyers guide says "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle".

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
The smaller hard drive and less ram isn't such a big problem as they can both be easily upgraded.(although obviously this isn't free..)

Basically you will be paying an extra $200 for an extra 300Mhz and the ability to burn DVD's.

The answer to whether you will see a difference is... 'it depends'. For surfing the net and checking your mail - no, but as soon as you start encoding video and other things that push the macbook - yes.

In my opinion its worth paying the extra. I think in six months or so you will never think 'if only I had saved 200 bucks'.

You might also want to look at the refurbs, get a 2.4GHz with DVD burner for cheaper than (or similar to) the 2.1 without.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB403LL/A

This is what I did. best of both worlds :)

dingus

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2008
Get a refurbished 2.4GHz MacBook then sell it two months later in anticipation of a newer model being released "soon", hating yourself and questioning your own upbringing every single day in the interim. That's my apparent master plan...

Really though, the 2.4GHz model may be the best bang for your buck, so spend the couple extra hundos now and buy yourself a refurb, which is essentially a new MacBook in a less fancy cardboard box. More RAM, larger HDD, plus you can take solace in being able to burn dual-layer 8.5GB DVDs instead of ridiculous 700MB CDs.

Yes. Solace.

iknowyourider

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2008
onanorthboundtrain
^^great advice, ^^great advice

Get a refurb w/ super drive (this adds/secures resale value)(plus is handy for back-up dvd's).

Watch the refurbs for a few days 'cause they change often. Observe the pattern of change, pick a good deal and wait for it to resurface. The better deals disappear same day.

kitch95

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
Thanks guys I think I'm going to wait until september and see if they release a new macbook and if they don't I will still be getting a great machine.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Thanks guys I think I'm going to wait until september and see if they release a new macbook and if they don't I will still be getting a great machine.

Whatever you do, please do not buy your RAM directly from Apple. It's a rip off and you can find much cheaper RAM online and easily install it yourself.

As for your other question, I think the Superdrive is nice, but honestly, I've yet to burn a single DVD. :eek:

If you do make movies and such often, it would be something to really consider, but otherwise, I think most of us can go fine without that feature. It's really up to you though.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
get the super drive, always have a little more than you need. the speed bump is of little relevance, you won't notice the difference. the super drive, you have more chances of noticing the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.