Which MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SnowLeopard2008, Oct 20, 2008.

1. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'm a high school student and would primarily use the computer for word processing, web browsing, playing music, etc. I also make Youtube videos (see sig) so I need to be abled to use FCE and iMovie. I need the portability, some power, and a backlit keyboard. So should I consider the low end MBP, high end MB, or the low end MBA?

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Highend MacBook if the backlit is really a factor...

3. seattle macrumors 6502

Depending on your video camera you might need to go with the low end MBP since the others do not have firewire and FCE would run best on a MBP.

4. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Hmm thnx. I ruled out the MBP, since 15" is just too big for me. I want something small, yet powerful. Might go with the air though.

5. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
  6. raccoontail macrumors member

I'd get the refurb macbook pro (old version). Cheaper than the high end macbook, has firewire, and a bigger screen for video editing. the new macbook is okay, but in my opinion the backlit keyboard isn't worth the cost.

If you need portability for schoolwork, check out an old NEC mobilepro 780 or 790 on ebay. These things never took off but they are perfect for note taking and paper writing (no internet = no distractions). You store data on a CF camera card, and then just get a card reader for the mac to transfer the data.

7. mpb2000 macrumors regular

I'd agree on the refurb/clearance older models. If you don't want to go 15" because of portability, get the black macbook refurb for $1099. Gives you the 250 GB HDD and firewire, if that's something you need for video. That's what I did as soon as the firewire-less MBs were announced. Yeah, it's got the old graphics card, but it sounds like you're pretty much in the same boat I am, so I'm not concerned about the graphics card. Then you can get 4 GB of RAM for $50 or $60 bucks and you'll be all set.