Which macbook ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bkarabel, Nov 27, 2008.

1. bkarabel macrumors member

I am going to apple 5th ave store after midnight. Which macbook should i get?
    Do you think lluminated keyboard is very important?. The other difference is 0.4 processor and 90 gb hd space.

Need help guys...

2. nyfinest32 macrumors regular

im in the same situation right now. im leaning towards to the 2.0ghz mb but i would like the luminated kb

3. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

I've been using my MBP for over a year and I've illuminated the keyboard twice... once by accident, once to "wow" someone critical of mac hardware.

Never used it otherwise. My $.02.

4. bkarabel thread starter macrumors member

There is $ 300 difference also, which i can use it towards ram and other stuff.

5. bkarabel thread starter macrumors member

ooh i forgot to ask, are there any known issues with the new macbooks?
    Should i check the serial numbers ?

6. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I would go with the illuminated keyboard because there are many situations that I wish I had one on my MacBook in the dark.

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    +1 get the macbook with the backlit keyboard I wish mine was lit up.

8. toxic macrumors 68000

backlit keys are for cool factor and not much else...you can see all the keys even with the backlight on its lowest setting. i have silver keys though, white text on black keys may or may not make a difference.

9. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

You get a 20% faster hard drive, 90 extra GB HD, and illuminated keyboard. And costs 25% more. I bought the top end MB myself and need the extra HD space but also want to buy a 7200 rpm, so I sometimes wish I would have bought the $1299 model and used the difference for 7200 rpm HD and more memory. I don't really need the lighted keyboard. And the 20% faster CPU isn't nearly as big of a boost to system performance as doubling the RAM.

So it really comes down to the keyboard in my opinion. Either one needs the RAM upgrade. And spending $100 on the HD will net a faster system. Either system require you upgrade the HD and memory so it really truly comes down to how bad you want the illuminated keyboard.

Good luck whichever way you go.

10. bkarabel thread starter macrumors member

Guys, just came back from apple 5th ave store. I bought the high end model for $ 1498 plus tax :) ( black friday $101 discount)

Thanks for all your inputs...

Now i am gonna spend time with my new baby:)

cheers,