Which MacBookPro 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HugoBertrand, Jun 13, 2015.

1. HugoBertrand macrumors newbie

HugoBertrand

Hello, I Need to buy a McBook pro 15" this summer so Ill get the newest one but I saw that you can tune them a lot. So I saw on the apple store: They all have 16GB ram. I do some video editing, raw photography, photoshop, a little bit of motion graphics so I should go with the higher end, the one that has the AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB GDDR5 memory (a 2nd graphic card I presume, right?)
    I won't buy it on the apple store, I'll buy it here http://www.macnificos.com where you can tune it more. So now I hesitate between 2.5Ghz with turbo boost up to 3.7 Ghz or 2.8 Ghz with turbo boost up to 4 Ghz. I like to go with the most but maybe I dont need as much although I do do quite a lot of media production and all that stuff. I'll definitely go for 512GB SSD, I dont need more.

Can somebody advise me?

Thanks!!!!!!

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

You really won't notice the difference between the 2.5 and 2.8Ghz processors. For what you're doing, the base model would work. I'd suggest getting an external USB3 drive to store all of your media work on - mostly to save disk space on your main computer.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

There is a site that allows you to get a 2.5GHz model that has the R9 M370X? How exactly is that accomplished? Just going by what you said.

In a nutshell - if you need the dedicated GPU, get the high end model. If not, get the base model. Use a website called NotebookCheck to view the benchmarks for each GPU.

4. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Okay. So it's 2.2GHz vs 2.5GHz, with a BTO option of 2.8GHz.

I got confused because I know it is a .3 GHz difference in each model, and I saw those two numbers in the OP's post, turns out it's another .3 GHz jump for the BTO option.

Thanks for clarifying. Just a number mix up.

6. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

No problem lol. I know it can get confusing. I only memorized them because I was helping a friend get one a week ago. They ended up with the base line model with 512GB of storage BTO.

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I browse every forum too and post in order to help with similar choices and there's just so many numbers and clock speeds, models and options. Plus I have dyslexia and I get extremely flustered sometimes. I didn't bother to check on Apple's website this time. :)

In any case, OP, get the 2.5 base option.

8. HugoBertrand thread starter macrumors newbie

HugoBertrand

thanks guys for your answers! I am bad with acronyms, what's OP?? do you mean me when saying OP?
    And what is BTO? At least I know what GPU is! I'd say it's more common. haha

When you said "base model" in the beginning Dark Void, you mean the basic mac book pro 2,2ghz that has no AMD Radeon R9 M370X??? Or the basic WITH the AMD Radeon R9 and 2,5GHz instead of 2.8GHZ

I think I do need the AMD Radeon, its better and faster cause final cut sometimes kill me with rendering and I do a lot of color correction and some motion graphics with 3D sometimes.

So I go with the option 2,5 GHZ with the AMD radeon R9 M370x and 512 SSD. I read the benchmark thing but i still don't get it, if I won't see the difference between 2,5GHZ and 2,8 GHZ, who will? What is the real advantage of the 2,8GHZ?

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

OP: Original poster

BTO: Build to order.

And yes, the AMD card can greatly help in rendering and stuff like that. There is no real advantage to having the 2.8GHz except by speeding up really long renders (probably speed up by about 15-30 minutes given a render that normally takes 6+ hours).

10. shoehornhands macrumors regular

Given that the 15" MBP lineup was just refreshed, you can currently get a pretty nice deal on the previous models as many of the online retailers get rid of their remaining stock (e.g. you can pick up the previous generation 2.5Ghz model for the price of the current generation 2.2Ghz model).

This is usually the case after any MBP refresh but imo, it's a particularly attractive option this time around because the refresh is so similar to the previous generation.

From a performance perspective, both models use the exact same processors (and thus, the exact same integrated GPU). The SSD performance is supposedly improved in the newer models but it was already ridiculous to begin with so the only place you'd likely notice it is when transferring very large files.

It basically comes down to "do you need the M370X over the 750M." The big reason to consider the M370X is that it allows you to use a 5k external monitor.

Anyway, just something for you to consider.

11. HugoBertrand thread starter macrumors newbie

HugoBertrand