Which machine to get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darnovo, Aug 14, 2012.

1. darnovo macrumors regular

I know there are a million threads like these but I could use some advice...

I am looking to get a new machine I think. I currently have a 2011 MacBook Air 13" with 4GB Ram and 128GB SSD with the 1.7. It's fine but not super powerful by any means.

I also have a 27" iMac that is basically brand new with the 3.1 i5 and 12GB Ram and 1TB HD.

Here is my dilemma. I just moved back home for the time being to save some money up for a house and to invest in a business I am starting and I basically only sleep there. Being at my parents house isn't very fun so I try to stay away 99% of the time. This makes my desktop almost worthless. I haven't even been on it in weeks.

The things I use my computer for are Photoshop, Ruby on Rails Development and some very light video editing / importing and schoolwork (I'm also in college finishing up with about 1.5 years left)

I am considering selling both my machines to either get the retina MBP (for lightness and power) or the legacy MBP (for power and stability) or maybe even a fully decked out MBA (for price)

The thing that really is hard for me, is if I sold the 27" iMac AND the Air, I would probably just get enough to get retina alone or legacy. Even though the iMac was worth $2100 brand new, I bet I could only get 1700-1800 for it and after eBay fees or whatever, then even less. And the Air maybe 700-800. So that would be like 2400-2600 which would be the cost of the Retina or Legacy with decked out. Traded 2 good machines for one sucks, but I just don't think the Air I'm using will cut it for all that work, plus I could use more screen real estate.

The new air, I would get 8gb ram and the best processor, but the downfalls are the screen real estate and lack of video card for things like video editing and importing. But after getting $2400-$2600, It would only cost 1600-1800$ for the new air.

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas would be great!

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you don't NEED the retina display, usb3 or two TB ports, look on apple refurbished, third party sites or CL and find the best deal you can on a 15" or 17" late 2011 Sandy Bridge MBP.

I found a steal on CL on a 2.4 quad i7 17" and added 16 gb and a 512gb crucial m4, all for less than $2000, and couldn't be happier with it.*

And I really, really like the glossy Samsung hi def screen. I know this is blasphemy on MR, but there-I said it!

*And before you say it, I check the S/N on online sites, he had the original box and paperwork, and signed a bill of sale after letting me look at his DL, so no, it wasn't literally a steal.

3. darnovo thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I hate the glossy look, and I'm weird about buying used machines. I dono what it is, but I like knowing that I'm the only person to own the machine... but I might look into it.

4. Hackintosh Sr. macrumors regular

shouldn't this be posted in buying tips and advice? I see a lot of threads on here that are asking advice on what to purchase.

5. dkersten macrumors 6502a

Have you considered a decked out (last year's) model of the 15in and then a TBD? That could give you portability with more screen real-estate and an almost desktop solution.

6. DTF macrumors member

Why are you replacing the 1-year old macbook air? Is it not doing all that you need? I'd sell the iMac and use the money towards the business and house. If you're trying to save money buying new equipment that may not really be needed is counter productive.

Don't get caught up in the hype of the retina. In the end it's still a computer.

Just my 2 cents.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I'm not doing photoshop ads for Vanity Fair, don't sit right in front of a window, and I love the contrast on the glossy. My eyes are too shot from age and misuse to really appreciate the fine attributes of the retina display.

The MBP was two months old from an adult student at a local college who had fallen on hard times (or, more accurately, they had fallen upon him).

Apple refurb will allow you to get a high def matte screen if you so desire. They also have that new mac smell to them. And some third party sites have new machines, still sealed in their original packaging for a discount. B&H, PowerMax, etc., etc.

And DTF really has a good point....sell the iMac if you think you can get a good price for it (easier to do before any new models come out) and use the funds to help fund your business venture. Keep using the Air for as long as you can....with the new Airs and the 2011 refurbs models like yours selling for $919 with new Applecare on Apple's site, you're probably going to take a fair beating if you sell it used.

8. darnovo thread starter macrumors regular

My girlfriend and I originally bought this air for her since she was going back to school. She decided that school really wasn't for her and I took over the machine. She only needed it for iTunes, Word Processing, and the usually basically computer stuff. This is why we only got the 4GB version with lowest processor.

Is that enough processing power and stuff to run things like Adobe CS6 for Photoshop and Premiere?

I figured I would need at least 8GB ram and a better processor and a GPU couldn't hurt?

9. DTF macrumors member

Will it work ... yes. Will it work well enough for you??? You need to try it and see. Since you have the laptop give it a go. 8GB of memory would be better especially with the video editing, but if you can live with it for a while you can save money. In the end we're not the one using the computer; you are.

My daughter uses a 2010 macbook pro 13" with 4GB of memory. She's using CS5 photoshop, indesign, lightroom and not having any problems.

If performance is really your main criteria then forget the retina and look more at price/performance ratio. You can get more bang for the buck with a used 2011 15" macbook pro and you can upgrade the memory & HD as needed.