Which MacPro Config?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Schkeen, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Schkeen macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I am a professional video editor and photographer, I do this full time, and am switching from PC to Mac. I've been using Premiere for years, and I am going to continue to use it with this new machine. I need some help with the specs for the Mac Pro I am building:

I am almost definitely going with the 8 core, 16 GB Ram, 1 TB HD (I will add aftermarkets later), the Radion Video Card. I am stuck on processor. Planning on 2.26, unless there will be a substantial difference to upgrade. Price wise, I do not think it calls to spend $2600 to get the 2.93, but maybe I'm wrong.

I am a wedding/events/sports/church video production company. Right now 100% of my work is SD. I do have HD Canon Camera's, but I would guess over the next 2 years, 90% of my work will still be SD.

I've gotten mixed advice saying that 2.26 is great, and 2.93 is for all HD, and video professional using RED.

What do you think as far as which processor?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You seem on the right track. The processor is not worth that, considering how fast your machine will be anyway.

3. Schkeen thread starter macrumors newbie

You say fast, but how fast is fast? Right now I am running a 3 year old PC, with a 3.4 Intel Processor (Not sure of exact model, but I know it is 1 chip that acts as 2). System is ok, getting a little slower, but overall ok. I am upgrading because it seems every 3 years I have too. My video card is over heating, hard drives fail, newer software is out, and it's just that time.

For example, once I have a wedding completely edited, with some transitions, color effects, and my "Magic Bullet Looks" applied, it may take anywhere from 45 mins to an hour to render.