which macs featured the first high density floppy drives?

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
The SE30

danimations said:
hi. just a quick question: which of the compact macs first featured high-density floppy support? :confused:
The SE/30 was the first Mac (was it compact?) to come standard with a FDHD. I think you can plug an external FDHD drive in to any of 'em...

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
David Schmidt said:
The SE/30 was the first Mac (was it compact?) to come standard with a FDHD. I think you can plug an external FDHD drive in to any of 'em...
nope, the SE was made in a version with 1.4 FDHD also...

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
macEfan said:
nope, the SE was made in a version with 1.4 FDHD also...
Here's a source:
http://www.lowendmac.com/compact/se30.shtml

SE/30:
lowendmac said:
Rolled out in January 1989, the SE/30 was the first compact Mac to come standard with the FDHD 1.4 MB floppy drive...
http://www.lowendmac.com/compact/se.shtml

SE:
lowendmac said:
In August 1989 Apple began to ship the SE with their high density floppy drive, known as the FDHD...
So, technically - the SE/30 was first. But I suppose the SE was the first type to get (retro)fitted... it was just later than the SE/30. :)

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
you might be right.... however, I have a rare mac SE with dual 1.4mb drives and a hard drive in my collection. It was not upgraded, as it actually says "superdrive" right under the floppy drive. It is 1.4mb. It COUld have been an upgrade by apple, but Im not really sure.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
David Schmidt said:
Ah, but the question was for compact macs! Semantics carry the day! ;-)
Actually, the IIx answers the question posed by the title of the thread (which doesn't include the stipulation of "compact").

On the subject of all Macs...

As I recall the Mac II had an upgrade from Apple that gave it a PMMU and replaced the original floppy drives. After the upgrade a II would still hold it's own against either a IIx or IIcx (even though the II only came with a 68020 at 16 MHz and a 68881 FPU). That upgrade became very popular with the release of System 7 (the first Mac OS that let you access more than 8 MB of memory).