Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radiology

Suspended
Feb 11, 2014
Westlake, OH
Who makes phone calls any more? The iPhone 7 only loses badly on battery life while making phone calls. Using Wifi for internet use, it's neck and neck, and something people wouldn't notice.

It's an article with a misleading headline to get the anti-Apple people riled up and feeling superior. It means nothing in real life.
Who makes phone calls? Did you really asked that?

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
This 'test' is fine and dandy. They can pedal their falsehoods over on their side of the pond.

Having owned two HTC 10s myself and observing coworkers and friends who are green bubble people, it's always the iPhone that isn't topping off during the day. Even my 6 would outlast the HTC phones from that appropriate year. And the SE crushed everything when it came to battery life.

Reactions: cbaca51

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Not a big surprise, iPhones have had terrible battery life for the last few generations at least. It depends how you use them I guess, but it annoys me that I have to carry an external battery pack if I'm away from mains points for a day.

You bit this article's title hook-line-and-sinker.

Are you one of the rare people that makes hundreds of minutes of phone calls a day? Then this article applies to you. Otherwise, it doesn't and is misleading.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Using a wifi symbol next to "3G internet use"makes me question everything about this publication.

On a serious note, I find that my 7 Plus gets fantastic battery life. On my 6 Plus I needed to charge it at least once while at work. With the 7 plus I never even come close to needing to plug in. Some of that is from the amount of use the 6 Plus had, but even when my 6 Plus was new, I don't remember the battery being this good.

I also might add that anyone on their cell phone making calls for over 11 hours a day has bigger issues than battery life.

iPhaithful

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
Seems like people are just finding things to complain about yet again. Honestly, the battery life thing never affected me in any phone because I usually charge my phone everyday. The 7 Plus has been noticeably better than my 6 Plus on battery life (it is a two year old battery after all). But I work 12-13 hr. shifts and I never have to charge my 7 at all during the time I'm at work. I use it quite often too.

JB3355

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2016
Unfortunately it is true. The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus both have pretty dire battery life at present. I was told by an Apple employee that the 7 Plus would last as long as my iPhone 6 + Apple Battery Case. However this is not the case at all - the 7 Plus barely lasts a day (And that is going through all the settings to try and make the phone run as efficient as possible and during normal use).

Apple iPhone battery life is barely acceptable.

Reactions: t22design

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
My iPhone 7 has much better life compared to my previous iPhone. If this report is to believed, then the other phones have awesome battery life too.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Test conditions based on 3G operation? Really...

I guess that means if your phone usage is predominately voice phone calls, and you live in a rural/remote area where only 3G service is available, then an iPhone 7 is not for you. Fortunately there are other choices available.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
My iPhone 7 has much better life compared to my previous iPhone. If this report is to believed, then the other phones have awesome battery life too.

The categories they are testing are ridiculous. Sure the call time thing may have been relevant years ago when we had flip phones and would go multiple days without plugging the phone in to charge. But in a period of time were the extreme majority charge their phone daily, the fact that you can talk over 700 minutes before the batter dies is more than enough. Beyond that, why are they testing things on 3G?

Reactions: mwd25 and jhfenton

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Test conditions based on 3G operation? Really...

I guess that means if your phone usage is predominately voice phone calls, and you live in a rural/remote area where only 3G service is available, then an iPhone 7 is not for you. Fortunately there are other choices available.

And you happen to have no access to wifi.

Reactions: jhfenton

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
Who makes phone calls any more? The iPhone 7 only loses badly on battery life while making phone calls. Using Wifi for internet use, it's neck and neck, and something people wouldn't notice.

It's an article with a misleading headline to get the anti-Apple people riled up and feeling superior. It means nothing in real life.

Err, it's a mobile phone. Most people make phone calls.

There is no mis-leading headline. You just can't see the wood for the trees as you're clearly a fangirl.

Last edited:

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Didn't the article note that the test was comparing the 7 and competitor's larger sized phones? It's kind of like noting that a car with a 12 gallon tank (even if it gets 30mpg) can't go as far as truck with a 30 gallon tank (forget about the fact that it gets just 15mpg). And as others have noted, testing 3G phone service seems a bit out of date today, knowing that chips have been updated and designed to be more efficient at LTE service, not 3G. But really, this just comes down to comparing Apple to watermelon and realizing that a smaller battery will provide less usable time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.