which mail application works best?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by naffo, Feb 12, 2011.

1. naffo macrumors newbie

i have a few big questions that i have been trying to figure out but can't so i figured i wud ask on here bc everyone here seems to know a lot.

first question is that i have apple mail on my mac and i have outlook for mac 2011, which mail application works better in general and which one better integrates with hotmail?

second question is that i noticed that on apple mail which is what i think i wud rather use, when i delete something from my inbox it doesnt delete it from my inbox on hotmail.com, how if possible can i get it to do that and does that function work on the outloook for mac 2011?

last question is i noticed wen i tried using apple mail and outlook for mac 2011 that even if i do set it that it shud send and receive every minute it doesnt get anything for 15 min intervals. on apple mail nothing happens every minute after i sent a test email and on outlook for mac 2011 it shows an error saying server can only be tried every 15 min only. wat good is a mail program if i have to wait 15 everytime to send and receive, so is there a way to change that?

thank you so much in advance for all ure help.

2. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Any email client will work awesome once you switch from Hotmail to Gmail. Just forward your Hotmail to your Gmail account. It will work great on Postbox, Mail or Sparrow.

3. Grannyville7989, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011

Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Apple Mail can only use POP3 to download your email because it doesn't support the MAPI (I think that's the one...) protocol that is Microsoft only. The only program I know that can use the MAPI protocol is Windows Live Mail which is Windows only, as it states in the name. :rolleyes:

POP3 doesn't syncronise your downloaded email inbox with the online webserver, which is what you want to do. I don't know why Microsoft doesn't allow the use of IMAP to be used. I don't believe you can use Outlook 2011 to sync with Hotmail. On Windows, Outlook 2007 and 2010 require the Outlook Connector to sync with a Hotmail account, which no version exists for the Mac.

I recommend iPhone1's suggestion. Get your Hotmail to forward onto a Gmail account and then use that to sync with Apple Mail. :)

As much as I'm a fan of Microsoft, as well as Apple, I do think Microsoft pull some really dumb moves with some of their products.

4. naffo thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx for ure replies but is there an answer to the questions without having to switch email prgrams bc i do like using hotmail and not really interested in having it sent to a gmail account.

5. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

None that I can think of at the top of my head. I use Hotmail for my email but I always go through the web browser to access it.

6. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

MAPI is Microsoft's Exchange Server protocol, and I'm pretty sure that Windows Live Mail doesn't use it -- Outlook does.

I'm still amazed that there are still people out there who use Hotmail. I don't know ANY spam filter on this planet that accepts eMails from Hotmail accounts. There are many free email providers (GMX being one of the best), so there is really no need to stick with something as lousy as Hotmail.

7. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

That may be your opinion but I've been using Hotmail for many years and I haven't had any problems so far. I'm very happy with Hotmail. :)

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Congratulations on your success with Hotmail. However, Winni is correct. Hotmail is a longtime favorite email provider among spammers. Firms with SPAM filters on their incoming mail servers are very likely to block Hotmail messages.

9. naffo thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i hear about hotmail being not as good, but at this time i am happy with it, so now that i will be sticking with it how can i go about using an email program, shud i use outlook instead of apple mail or will both give me the problem of waiting 15 min to get my mail and the problem with it sychronizing my inbox wen i delete emails.