Which material is the most protective case for my iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by sara1027, Dec 5, 2012.

1. sara1027 macrumors newbie

Apple has released the iPhone 5 for a few days, I am preparing to upgrade my iPhone because my iPhone 4s was damaged by falls. In order to prevent the same thing happening, I decide to buy a iPhone 5 case for the newest iPhone, there are so many cases made from different materials.. I have heard one new case-EVA foam case that is pretty durable and protective. is that true?

2. Vachelon macrumors newbie

3. Kealohilani macrumors 6502

I bought a Twig Case, which uses richlite. So far it feels super protective. There is a video from one of the guys that works at Twig throwing a case and phone around and the phone and case come out perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR9-xMpWaOU

And the cases look great. No offense to the post above but I first bought an otterbox and I felt like I had a Playskool phone, and it got discolored very easily.

4. zballer macrumors newbie

Otterbox Defender - Great case and almost waterproof, but don't quote me on that. The case has saved my phone on several occasions from water and being dropped by friends. It is durable and baby friendly! :) Waiting for one to come out for the iPod 5g.

5. Gaidin43 macrumors regular

Biggest things you can do is get a high quality screen protector and a decent case that is both hard plastic/metal and has a rubber component sleeve to it.

There are some cases out there you can spend $200+ on that will protect your phone from hammer blows and completely ridiculous level of similar damage.

There are other cases like the outter box defender that are easy to find and work pretty well. Personally I use an outter box commuter, it offers good protection without an insane amount of bulk. I slammed the rear hatch of my jeep on my phone twice and the case saved it (thankfully!!!), with only a small dent in the plastic from each blow. I used to use a incase pop! That offered similar protection.

In the end it's personal choice. Start looking at how much bulk and protection you can stand/need. If you work construction or in similar environments get a bulkier, more protective case. If you are just looking for everyday drops and similar perils get something with less bulk and less protection.

Good guideline is to go with a hard plastic shell and a rubber sleeve other then that read reviews and get what style, color, and bulk you like.