Which MB/P?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Clarky31, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Clarky31 macrumors newbie

Clarky31

I want to by a Mac notebook, as my main computer. But I'm not sure which MB/P would suit my needs, I've researched for the last fews day. I've now narrowed it down to 3 machines; the 15" MBPs (not sure if a MBP would be an overkill) or the high-end MB (not sure if this would be able to handle my needs). I will be using the machine for everything that I do, which consists of:

School work - Word documents, spreadsheets, etc.
    Web browsing - Multiple webpages open at once. A lot of up/downloading.
    Mulitmedia use - Music, movies, etc. (iTunes)
    Gaming - Sims 2/3 (when its released), RCT/3, Black and White 2, etc.
    Simple picture editing - Cropping, resizing, etc.
    IM - WLM/MSN.

I normally also have many application open at once. So which of the 3 machines do you think would suit my needs?

2. BostonApple macrumors newbie

I was in a similar situation and decided to go with the MBP. My justification was that the MBP would last me longer and I wouldn't really ever have to upgrade anything, the 15.4" screen and better screen quality was also a pretty big factor in my decision. I went with a late '08 2.53 and upgraded to a 7200RPM hard drive for a bit more speed. I have been very, very happy with this laptop and have not regretted my decision at all. I also love that you can switch between two video cards if you are playing graphic intensive games or doing hardcore video/picture edits. Good luck!

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

None of the applications you mention require anything more than the Macbook to perform perfectly well. Use the money you save to upgrade the RAM.

4. Clarky31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Clarky31

5. desiringGod macrumors regular

I'd go with one of the refurb macbooks. Either will work for you.

6. macgrl macrumors 65816

To me the extra screen size of the mbp would be worth the extra money. That is because I only have one computer so wanted the best of both worlds. To me I would rather the low end mbp than the high end mb:)

7. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I'm in a similar position. I have had a MB for 2 years and it's been a good machine but I want a bigger screen, and maybe to play a few games.
    The cost difference between the top end MB and the bottom end MBP isn't too much and makes it very tempting, it will last a lot longer, it has a GPU, bigger and better screen, better speakers, it's probably what I'm going to end up getting.

8. toxic macrumors 68000

grab a Macbook and an external monitor, if you think 13" is too small. it does all you need and its more portable. if you don't ever move your computer off your desk, get an iMac.

9. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

+1

10. Clarky31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Clarky31

Would the macbook with extra ram be able to run the games I want to play?

11. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...go refurb MB and get an extra monitor, then you'll have left over $$ for the next laptop you want to buy in a few years...