Which MBA for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by joshigh, Aug 26, 2011.

1. joshigh macrumors member

I have a quad i7 27" iMac that I bought earlier this year, it's way more than I need but feels right for everything I do. I'm not big on super intensive CPU power, I use it to manage my 10k+ photo library with some light editing when needed. I have a bunch of ripped movies and music stored across a few external drives. I run a PS3 server for video and music and also serve an Apple TV from this machine. I remote into it from my iPhone and iPad now and then for certain tasks. I have Windows 7 setup in Bootcamp and use it to VPN into my job network. So, I have a really powerful at home computer.

I have an iPad now that sees little use from me. My wife is the main user since her HP laptop sucks. I see her with the iPad all the time. I have never really fallen in love with it, and the only times I've really appreciated it has been during travel in airports and on planes.

I'm constantly buried in my iPhone replying to emails, surfing/replying on forums, listening to music, texting, general web surfing, etc... It serves it's purpose well, but I do get annoyed when filling out online forms and input boxes, or having to type out a lot on the little keyboard. I use the iPod function pretty much all day at work.

This week I've been thinking about how cool it would be to have an 11" MBA on my desk at work, hooked up to a portable external HD holding my music library and whatever other storage files I wanted. I could tether in to my iPhone for an internet connection and have a fully functioning computer off of the company network. It would be plugged into power when stationary, so I wouldn't have to worry about battery life. I could close it up and take it to lunch and breaks to use when I need to do things like replying to emails or shopping/surfing. I'm sure I would use it around the house, in bed, in the kitchen on the couch, etc... It would basically serve as a mobile extension of my iMac.

With all that being said, obviously I don't need a powerhouse machine. I want it to handle Youtube/web videos, the occasional HD movie, music, fast web browsing. I'm finding some decent deals on older models. I'm thinking I do not need a new i5/7 processor for any of this. The backlit keyboard would be really nice, but I dealt with not having it on my old Macbook for years.

What do you think? Any tips on where to find the best deals on a 2010 11"?

2. 3dflyboy1, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

Sounds like the base 2GB/64GB model would be fine. The cheapest I've seen 'em is for $650-700 on ebay. You could always buy a refurb from apple for $750 too.

3. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

the base model from 2010 is all you need for this light usage... a netbook might even suffice (although i would go with the mba)

Look on apples refurb site! or check your local craigslist for some sweet deals

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The problem with this approach is that sure, you save a few bucks, but when you are sitting somewhere wanting to do something and wishing you had just a little more computer, a little more ram, or a little more space, that would drive me nuts. Once I get in front of a computer I want to be able to do everything I need to do. The iPad is good for what it is, but the MBA can be a full fledged computer, running virtual machines, encoding DVDs, editing video, etc. The MBA is not very upgrade friendly. So if you find yourself using it a lot because you like it, but find out you need a little more RAM, you will need to sell it and buy another one. Which is OK. Nothing wrong with that. Everyone approaches these things from a different perspective.

Me, I want as much computer as I can afford to have with me at all times. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. :apple:

5. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Get the 2011 MBA 11" and be in awe of its speed and mobility.

6. joshigh thread starter macrumors member

Got one just a little bit ago. 2010 model 11". The craigslist ad had it billed as a 2011 model with Thunderbolt, but when I got to see it I promptly pointed out that it wasn't.

I scored it for 675. It's in mint condition with the box and everything.

Looking forward to getting it setup tonight.