Which MBA Rev A or Rev B?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bkarabel, Mar 12, 2009.

1. bkarabel macrumors member

I am looking to buy a macbook air base model by this weekend ( friday i hope :) ). I saw one for $ 999 plus tax ( refurbished, apple online store ). I think that`s a pretty good deal but am i going to have the same problems ( core shutdowns, video paroblems, all related to heat). Or should i wait for the Rev B versions to arrive at the online refurbished store. I know price is not going to be same, and money is always a factor especially in this climate.

I will be using it for basic tasks ( internet, msn, slingbox,iwork,itunes and mail app.) I have a new unibody macbook top model with 4gig ram ( my main machine ) which is connected to apple 24 inch display.

So what i should i do guys???:confused:

2. impakt1 macrumors member

3. bkarabel thread starter macrumors member

Really? :(
    I mean, if they are refurbished they should be checked and tested,especially after the known issues.

4. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Rev B has a better battery by an hour or so. Or some posts on hear have led me to believe.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Yes, but if it's returned for a different (non-heat) issue, they'll fix that, run the basic tests, and kick it out the door.

Whether to get an A or B depends on your situation. If you are low on cash (or cheap) and can stand the possibility of not having your machine if it needs to go back (remember, refurbs come with the same one-year warranty as new), then go for the A. If it's mission-critical, get a B and pay for the "security" (knowing, of course, that it's no guarantee and that something else may creep up with the B's).

6. akm3 macrumors 68020

The Rev A has a far worse rep then reality would dictate.

$999 Rev A is a FANTASTIC deal. That said, the newer Nvidia chip is really, really nice and if you can swing the Rev B it is a good value

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Even the new models of MacBook Air are worse computers than the one you have in every possible way. The only real advantage to the Air is that it is slightly thinner and slightly lighter.

I don't see why you want two laptops either, but I guess you must have far more money than I do. I have a Unibody MacBook and I can think of a million things I'd buy before getting a MacBook Air.

8. Turmoil macrumors regular

My refurb Rev A is perfect in every way. It's never had heating or crashing problems. Sure Rev B is a better computer, but the refurb A's are a bargin. I love mine.

9. impakt1 macrumors member

You have one of the few that actually came out without any problems. After speaking to a "Genius" in the bar, he claimed that most problematic airs are the rev a's.

10. akm3 macrumors 68020

Just because most problematic air's are Rev A's does not mean that most Rev A's are problematic.

11. adrian.oconnor macrumors 6502

We've got a revision A SSD MBA at work and it's great! I've known other people use them without problem too. However, have a good look at one before you buy because it isn't actually that much smaller or lighter than your MB. They're the exact same width and depth, and height at the back is pretty much equal. The main difference is actually the screen.

12. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Mines perfect!

13. bkarabel thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies guys,:)

My unibody macbook is fantastic but is a bit heavy and not that portable ( i don`t even know how to describe this ). My mate has a macbook air ( Rev B ) after using his mba for couple hours ( very light, easy to carry around ) i fell in love :p with the mba.

I am always on the road, always mobile , i don`t want my unibody macbook to get dirty. I just want something simple simple that i can do my basic tasks when i am outdoors.

I was even looking at the white macbook, but again it is heavier and no backlit keyboard. :(

I know the Rev B are great, better video card, faster ram but i just can`t justify the price tag ( more than my main machine :) ).

What do you think about getting a used 1.6 ghz with 64gb or 128 gb ssd?

14. kevin0807 macrumors newbie

i mean if you cant justify the price tag of rev B than go for it. I wouldn't do it though, especially if its used. refurbed or not, i would go for rev B

15. akm3 macrumors 68020

Like the above person said, the best thing about the MBA is the screen. it is a very high quality, bright screen.

The MBA is 2 lbs lighter than a MB but 2lbs doesn't sound like a lot. How about 'almost 50% lighter?" It is a huge weight difference and for someone like my wife who is already lugging around a giant bag full of papers and what not, every ounce counts. She loves hers, RevA.

16. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

On the contrary, I think the more your bag weighs then the less you'll notice a small drop in weight of your notebook.

I really don't see how someone could describe the new aluminium MacBooks as being "not that portable" because they are very compact. Remember, the MacBook Air isn't any narrower or shorter. It's just slightly thinner and slightly lighter. Is that really worth all of this money for a machine which performs worse and has far fewer features?

17. bkarabel thread starter macrumors member

You are right, i can not really explain why i feel that way . It is not that portable compared to the mba, and i understand what you are trying to point out. It is about the same size of a macbook. But it felt different ( at least for me ) when i used it.

I saw one on Craigslist for $ 1200, but he came down to $ 1075
    It is 6 months old, 1.6 with 64gb ssd, pretty clean, no scratches, no dents, do dead or stuck pixels ( according to him ) and local pick up which i`ll have a chance to inspect. I can always buy an applecare of ebay for $ 125 for 2 more years of protection.

Does it sound ok to you guys?:confused:

18. Brooklyn8 macrumors member

Brooklyn8

1075 is not bad for a Rev A with the SSD, but man if you are doing anything with graphics you have to go Rev B because of the nVidia graphics. I'd look out for the hinges on the Rev. A as well.

19. bossxii macrumors 68000

@bkarabel, all I can say is I know how you feel... as I fell in love with the MBA's, purchased a Rev B loaded up 1.8/128g SSD version. 36 days later I returned it for my 17" UMBP. Yes it is cool, they are light, backlit keyboard, nice screen etc... BUT once the honeymoon was over, I quickly realized it's a $2500 netbook (in a sense). I watch alot of online video and plans to use it with my HD camcorder for processing video. First off HD video heated the MBA to near 90C and forget laying it on your lap with the down facing fan ports on the bottom. It's an absolute dream to surf, use email, and other non processor heavy work, not to mention the SSD makes it "feel" much faster than a C2D processor.

I could buy a 400 dollar netbook and do the same things I was doing with the MBA and pocket 2100 cash. I did however swap mine at the local Apple store for the new 17" and know I made the right call. I'm sure there are people that will flame me for comparing it to a netbook but so be it. That's my opinion, I fell in love with it, dated, married and then thought of cheating on it within 30 days lol... If you can afford a Rev B you will be happy as you have a MBP to fall back on, I've heard alot of bad things about the Rev A that I would avoid those all together.

Bottom line, be honest with yourself about what you will be using it for. Rev A will not touch the performance or speed of your MBP. If your looking to surf, email etc.. your golden. If you start watching video and pushing it, I would be nervous of the outcome.

**Brooklyn8 makes a good point too, check out Youtube on MBA hinge slop/loose hinges etc..