Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smitty8202

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
Okinawa, Japan
I am currently looking into getting a 13" MPB and would like to know what is the best one to get. I will be using it for the internet, itunes, email, mac application development and my college classes. i dont really need snything too over the top. also is the 13" a good size screen. i have seen em at best buy and the apple stores and it seems big enough but 15 seems just right but dont wanna fork out another 800 bucks. i do plan to buy refurb though so i may go with a 15 if the price is right.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
If you can wait a month or two, I would. New models are imminent, and even if you want to buy refurb, refurb prices will get cheaper when new models come out. 13 is fine and the base should be good for your needs. A refurb 15" will get cheap when the new models come out though, maybe 1400 or 1500 bucks.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I am currently looking into getting a 13" MPB and would like to know what is the best one to get. I will be using it for the internet, itunes, email, mac application development and my college classes. i dont really need snything too over the top. also is the 13" a good size screen. i have seen em at best buy and the apple stores and it seems big enough but 15 seems just right but dont wanna fork out another 800 bucks. i do plan to buy refurb though so i may go with a 15 if the price is right.

I you go 13", don't bother with the 2.6 model, just get the base 2.4. I use the base model for moderately heavy audio production work, and if it can hold up to that, it certainly can do what you want it to do with ease.

You can always plug the 13" into a monitor if you want more monitor space at your desk. But it's small footprint makes it awesome for carrying around.

Don't spend that un-needed money on the 15" if you don't need to.

smitty8202

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
Okinawa, Japan
to be honest i dont wanna wait. i kinda need one now cause i start my college classes in a couple weeks and i need something to take with me to work cause my work computer wont allow me to access my online classroom.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
to be honest i dont wanna wait. i kinda need one now cause i start my college classes in a couple weeks and i need something to take with me to work cause my work computer wont allow me to access my online classroom.

i would suggest the macbook air, either 11 inch , or if you find that too small, the 13 inch.

smitty8202

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
Okinawa, Japan
ya i am not buying a macbook air i am not a big fan of them. they dont come with a disc drive and for the price of the macbook air and a disc drive i can get a mbp.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
ya i am not buying a macbook air i am not a big fan of them. they dont come with a disc drive and for the price of the macbook air and a disc drive i can get a mbp.

well if you do need the disc drive, then just buy the 13" macbook pro (the base model). you won't need anything more than that except if you're gonna do some gaming or video editing etc. also, if you're budget is more than that, you can throw in an SSD instead of the hard drive and it will get a lot faster, both in boot times, response times, and everything else.

edit: to be honest, why don't you just get the white polycarbonate macbook, and just add 2 gigs of ram on it? It will be the same as the pro , 100$ cheaper and you're only missing the backlit keyboard.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York

From what you describe as your needs, I'd say don't hesitate to get the 2.4ghz 13" right now. You can get it for $1099 from the Apple Store with student disc. Or if you have a Microcenter near you, $999.

fibrizo

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
From what you describe as your needs, I'd say don't hesitate to get the 2.4ghz 13" right now. You can get it for $1099 from the Apple Store with student disc. Or if you have a Microcenter near you, $999.

Definitely this. Especially if you have a microcenter. Upgrading the SSD yourself would make it much faster in usage than the 2.66ghz model for the same cost or less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.