Which MBP 15" refurb - unibody or prior model?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by InfoTime, Jun 3, 2009.

1. InfoTime macrumors 6502

I've been considering buying a MacBook Pro in the next month or two. I'm totally fine with refurbished units from the Apple Online Store. There's always a basic model for $1,699. Occasionally they'll have the previous basic model for $1,349. They had them for a short time yesterday.

I really like the idea of the way the new aluminum MacBook Pros are made and I like how easy it is to change the hard drive. They're also a little bit faster than the prior model. Other than that I don't know of any significant advantages of the new model over the prior one.

The prior model's keyboard is more appealing to me. Saving another $350 is also appealing. Also, this model may support a total of 8 GB or DDR2/667 RAM?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=573906
    See also http://guides.macrumors.com/MacBook_Pro

Here's a little comparison chart I put together:
    [​IMG]

Is there anything about either model that would influence your decision?

2. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

ddr3, muli-touch with 4 finger gestures and upgraded graphics card made the $350 jump for me.

3. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Computers have a really short life span in terms of being on the cutting edge. New software and peripherals are always designed for the latest and greatest, so you can find yourself wishing for a better machine pretty quickly if you buy cheap. Therefore, buy the best you can afford. It will put off your perception (and actuality) of having an obsolete machine just a little longer.

4. emt1 macrumors 65816

The 8600M GT will eventually fail, it's just a matter of when.

5. Shawny D macrumors member

Shawny D

Unibody.

It's better-built, uses faster DDR3 memory, and, unlike the previous-gen MBP, it's HDD is officially user-upgradeable.

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I say the unibody as well. I think they have a much better battery as well.

7. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

Unibody all day everyday, especially this close to WWDC. The reason I say this is that when Snow Leopard is released, with the technology they are using for it with Grand Central and OpenCL, you will supposedly be able to make use of both GPUs at the same time (as opposed to one at a time) to enhance your experience. The benefit of this is that despite using shared video memory, each GPU would utilized for functions that are best suited to it.

i.e. - the 9600GT card would be used to hand all monitor and intense graphics processing while the 9400 would be used for basic applications such as Safari and what not, thusly increasing your computer's overall performance power.

This is not really a close decision in my mind at all. It would be close if the cost difference was about $600 or more. Don't forget all of the other benefits too such as the multi touch trackpad and backlit keyboard, which is an underestimated feature, but is sooooo huge!