Which MBP-Based on my needs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bbadalucco, Jan 14, 2009.

1. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

I've decided on a MBP but now need someone to help sway me to the best fit for me. Below is what I intend to use the MBP for:

iWork
    Safari
    iTunes
    Plex (blu ray FILES playback).

Should I go with the 2.53 (6mb L2) or 2.4 (3mb L2)??? I plan to get an Intel X-25M SSD regardless of the model. If I go 2.4 I will also upgrade to 4gb ram.

I have a desktop to game so won't be gaming at all on the MBP. Basically it comes down to whether the extra .13 and 3mb L2 will play a difference in the applications I will use.

Thanks all

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

for what you have stated, i think the base model would be suffice.

3. cy88 macrumors member

cy88

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I would go for the normal Macbook, forget about the Pro, you dont play games or do any video editing so you wont need the graphics cards, and you certainly dont need the Pro specs for the applications you have listed, the normal Macbook will be more than enough.
    More info here:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Which_Apple_notebook_should_I_buy?

bear in mind no Apple computer can playback Blu-Ray code or DVD's at the moment.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

For the price difference between a MacBook and a MacBook Pro, you can get a damn nice 24" display. You could even get an Apple LCD display if you feel like you have more money than you know what to do with.

6. akbc macrumors 6502

For your needs, even the MacBook would suffice...

7. bbadalucco thread starter macrumors 6502

The only reason I want to go with the MBP is for the 15.4" screen. i have a 30" monitor at home but want the extra monitor space becuase I will take the laptop with me on the road.

Also, to the point of apple not being able to play blu rays...I will use it to play files (m2ts container) on my hard drive...I was told Plex had the ability to do this.

Thanks for everyone's input!

8. Gaelinic macrumors regular

Wait, Apple computers don't play DVDs?

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

They play back DVD's but not Blu-Ray DVD's
    I'm sorry I use quite complicated English.

10. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

well, under bootcamp they can, but Mac OS X will not play back blu ray or HD-DVD.

11. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I also recommend the base model MBP. the higher model wont result in any noticeable difference in the apps you'll be using

12. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

The 2.53 comes with 4gb preinstalled, where the 2.4 doesn't, and the 2.53 has a cheaper upgrade price to the SSD. After you've done the RAM and SSD there's not much price difference left, for which you'll get the faster processor and more video RAM.