Which MBP do I have and new/replacement OS free?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GelleCC, Aug 2, 2011.

1. GelleCC macrumors regular

GelleCC

Hey guys, I know there have been several threads on this type of thing already, but I haven't found anyone with my situation.

I did a serial number look up and it came back with two macbook pro models, here's a link:

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP32

I can't go to "about this mac" because I wiped my hard drive and lost my OS cd
    s so I can't reinstall it (the screen flashes the folder with a question mark"). So, two questions, how do I tell which MBP I have from the link above? I took out the hard drive and it's a 100gb, so I'm assuming its the second one (model MA601LL) but how do I make sure? I need a new inverter for it and want to get the right inverter. Also, since I lost the OS cd, is there a way I can get a replacement from apple free (I doubt it, but does anyone know if you can)? tiger, leopard or snow leopard, I don't care. Preferably snow leopard because that's what I had on it, but I need a new OS regardless, so I don't care what apple gives me (if they will give me anything) lol.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Apple will replace the Restore DVD with whatever the machine shipped with for minimal cost (but not free)

3. GelleCC thread starter macrumors regular

GelleCC

Do you know how much the minimal cost is? And thanks!

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I've never lost my restore DVD but I've heard $25 in the past.

5. GelleCC thread starter macrumors regular

GelleCC

ah, for $25, I might as well just buy Snow Leopard again. Found one on Craigslist for about $20. Thanks! By any chance do you know how to resolve the "which model I have" issue?

6. jupman macrumors newbie

I would make an appointment for the "Genius Bar" at a local Apple store, they will answer your question on the model and if you ask nicely they just may install a copy of OS X on your MAC... :D

7. GelleCC thread starter macrumors regular

GelleCC

You make a valid point. And I just remembered I have a friend who works at apple (although, he's not a genius), maybe he can hook me up on a discounted OS...

Thanks!

I looked online and it seems that the ma600LL and MA601LL models are similar and the inverter should work regardless of which model inverter I get. BUT, I will see a genius soon just to be sure.

8. GelleCC thread starter macrumors regular

GelleCC

Just in case anyone is curious, I did call Apple and explain my situation. They said they could reinstall the OS for free (I'm sure this might depend on who you talk to, though. Just be polite). When I called, they said they could only install the OS that the computer shipped with. I got the guys name just to verify that when I took it in, someone DID actually say they'd do it for free. WHen I got there, I explained the situation again, and how I had been on Snow Leopard and even though they told me I could only get the OS of what the MBP shipped with, he gave me snow leopard free anyway.