Which MBP do I need?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DaftMonk, Aug 4, 2010.

1. DaftMonk macrumors member

DaftMonk

Hey guys, Daft here. I've just received an updated quote from the servicer in this thread, and it's now $900 – a price both he and I are against. So, I'm now looking seriously at a new main machine, and, having come to a insecure conclusion of my own, have need of further advice. This is for a 15" MBP.

I'm a Digital Media major. I do a lot of photo and video work, and my hobbies are audio and gaming. I'll be getting the Hi-Res AG, since I despise the color reproduction of glossy screens. Also, the OWC Mercury RE Pro 200GB SSD, hopefully as soon as I can. However, my previous plan was to hold out until at least 2011 (Sandy Bridge; better GPU), but circumstances force me to reconsider this course of action.

So, my question is this: with my needs in mind, do you think I should get the i5 (base), or the i7? I'll be upgrading to 8GB either way, along with the SSD.

Thanks for any and all help, as usual. You guys rock.

2. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

I'm a Digital Media major -----> that to me says you will spend ALOT of time waiting for thing to render or upload or transfer or whatever after you have worked your magic, i would reccomend 8gb of ram ATLEAST and the i7 but what are you doing with the emdia? i see the job title but you may filing things? i do not know? editing photos/ video? taking video / photos???

3. DaftMonk thread starter macrumors member

DaftMonk

Yes, all of those things. My real question, I guess, is if the i7 is worth it.