Which MBP for development?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Biolizard, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Biolizard macrumors 6502

Lots of threads flying around about which MPB for College work, and ultimately portability seems to be the winning factor for Uni peeps. Whilst I am a student I'm not so fussed about portability as I tend not to take my lappy to lectures (which are nearly all theoretical).

I'm a Comp Sci student and having finished exams am finally getting around to doing some hobby stuff in XCode. This, along with web surfing, watching DVDs and other general stuff would probably make up the bulk of my use for my new comp. I am planning to do some light gaming (on a Dreamspark copy of Server 2008 :D) but it'll be all old stuff I bought before I ran out of free time like FarCry 1, Half Life 2 and some more recent RTSs.

So, I think I want a 15". I have a 22" monitor in my room but then I feel tied to it with my 13", I can't go anywhere else in the house for fear of lack of screen space. The next step is which model; the 9400 or 9600 (low and mid)? I doubt I'll make good use of a 9600, but it's a nice 'insurance policy' for a laptop I want to last for 5-6 years. I suppose I've answered my own questions, but if anyone wants to contribute, I'd be glad for input.

P.S. My sig says I have an Early 2008 Macbook. I'm not throwing away that beloved piece of machinery or anything so heretical. My parents wanted a laptop and as soon as I heard the phrases "cheap laptop" and "Dell" I nearly cried inside at the thought of having to continually fix it, so I persuaded them to buy my Blackbook. Win-win!

2. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

I am a fourth year Computer Science major and I currently use a 15" MacBook Pro with the 24" LED Cinema Display for my development work. I am in the process of selling my 15" MacBook Pro right now on eBay and I have already purchased a 13" MacBook Pro to replace it. Never had any problems with my current setup and I doubt I will have any problems with my future one.