Which MBP for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JR1993, Jun 1, 2011.

1. JR1993 macrumors regular

Hi, I'm new to macbooks, i have researched them but never owned one.

I will be starting university in October and I would like to buy a Macbook Pro, but i'm unsure which one to get.

I'm pretty sure I want to go for 15", portable but still good for using on a desk.

These are the things i will be doing:
    • Internet browsing
    • Word processing (LaTeX)
    • Learning to code (C,C++,java.....etc)
    • Light gaming (COD4, Counter Strike Source)
    • Using some moddeling software (I will contact uni about this bit, not sure of the programs)

So, from what I have said, I would like to know if I go for the 2.0/2.2/2.3GHz system, and whether i need the 256mb/1GB GPU.

My guess is that 2.0GHz CPU + 256mb GPU is enough, but im not 100%

Also, I would like to know if all I have said are actually possible to do on macs. There is still a small doubt in my mind about switching from windows (even though I will probably use bootcamp too)

If you need to know anything else, just ask.

Thanks

2. xriderx11 macrumors regular

15" that's 1700$... Has dedicated graphics card and it is good for coding an etc

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

The base 15" will do everything you throw at it. No need to step up to anything more at this point.

If you have programs that are Windows specific, you can always install windows 7 on the machine. I would check with the School to see if the software you need is also available for Mac, which it usually is.

4. JR1993 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the reply.

Im pretty sure i would go for base 15" now. I will probably get 500GB 7200rpm instead of 5400rpm, to make it a bit quicker. (Any reasons I shouldnt do that?)

Also, I would upgrade to the hi-res screen, but anti-glare or not anti-glare? Best option might be to take a torch into the store, see what happens.

I will definately wait for BTS, and until August 19th, results day, when i can get university discount.

5. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Ya, its not worth it to upgrade the hard drive. Save your money for a SSD, its a much more noticeable upgrade. Otherwise, I think the base 15" will be fine.

Again, the SSD is a monster upgrade, its well worth the money. If you want the easy way just buy it from Apple. If you are more adventurous you can get more performance from a third party SSD but there's some hassles in installing and upgrading the firmware. But, overall, I can't recommend a SSD highly enough. If you haven't tried a machine with one yet, when you are at the Apple store spend a few minutes booting and launching programs one a machine with an SSD and one without. The difference is night and day.

6. JR1993 thread starter macrumors regular

I did think about it, but I ended up deciding against it. Apparently they were mega over priced from apple. Also, TRIM wasnt supported (dont even know what it is) but people seemed to be put off by it. I will think about it, and definately try it in store. In the end, it might come down to the cost of it, its very expensive and might not be neccessary for me at all.

Thanks for your reply though.

7. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

Until SSD upgrades are $100 or less for ~256Gb, just upgrade the HD speed. That's what I did for both of my most recent purchases.

8. JR1993 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I'm on my PC now, so im not sure if it would be any different on a mac, but my current drive is 320GB, I have only used 69.1GB, and it is 2 years old. I rely on my parents laptop to hold photos, but when going to uni I would have my own, but I think 128GB would be enough.

On upgrading HD speed (5400 to 7200 i presume) was there a noticable difference? and is it worth getting speed in return for noise, vibration and power?

Thanks

9. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

Well, I'll say I didn't buy the low speed HDDs to compare but I've never noticed a lot of noise. Most noisy piece is the fan when watching Youtube.
    If you can survive on 128Gb then by all means upgrade. I need a notch more than that so it's still not cheap enough for me.

10. JR1993 thread starter macrumors regular

Ive had a think, and so far I have:

Macbook Pro 15", 2.0GHz i7 QC, 4GB, hi-res antiglare
    +
    OCZ Vertex 3 120GB / Corsair Force 3 120GB

I will wait until I get accepted at uni, with 14/15% discount. Also back to school should give free ipod or similar.