Which MBP for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zigzag801, Jul 22, 2012.

1. zigzag801, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012

zigzag801 macrumors member

Alright everyone long story short, I am a computer science college student who has a full time job in IT and does photography part time. I was planning on holding out for a new iMac but my 2008 Macbook Pro is starting to show its age and I am now looking for a new laptop that will last me as long as this one has if not longer.

I have a mini-display port Apple Display and an old Dell 23" monitor from before I got my Display that I was hoping to connect with my new laptop. My current 27" setup I have is just not cutting it for everything I need to do. With the limited information I have given, which do you think would be the best laptop for me? (If I were to get the rMBP I was going to possibly get a second Thunderbolt Display later this year)

I know that the rMBP has two thunderbolt ports, so I could hook up my Apple Display and my Dell Monitor using an adapter that I already have. I remember looking into dual monitors with my current Macbook pro years ago but it wasn't cheap and required you to buy the Matrox Graphics, DualHead2Go.

Thank you for the input, I really appreciate it! :)

2. RedCroissant Suspended

You could definitely go with the rMBP but I think I would go with an earlier model. My current machine is a 15" 2.4GHz i7 w/Intel HD 3000 graphics/Radeon HD 6770M and 750GB HDD(the late 2011 model) and I love it. the same machine that I paid around $2200 for is available refurbished for $1699.

And as far as I know, it is still compatible with the cinema displays along with the TB displays as well. So you could save money on the machine and have enough for another display later or for maxing out the RAM.

3. Charlaux macrumors member

I'd personally go with rMBP because It is really portable and amazing.I am using the base model and even that word should not scare you, it is very good,amazing.I'd recommend you to buy rMBP mid range since you are a pro student while I am the normal game player so things would change a bit.Or you can give a try to customized base rMBP and convert it to your needs.