Which MBP for Me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ColinEC, Dec 13, 2008.

1. ColinEC macrumors 6502

Hi,

I do audio engineering work with ProTools, as well as music creation using MIDI controllers with Logic.

I also do light Photoshop work, although I'm still learning how to use PS4.

What kind of MacBook Pro configuration should I go for? 4GB or 2GB RAM, 2.4GHz or 2.53GHz processor?

I'm trying to keep my budget under $2,500, and I'll be purchasing the MacBook Pro with a college discount.

2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Sounds to me like you can afford the 2.53 model. That is my recommendation.

3. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I think you can get a really great deal and an amazing MacBook Pro for under your budget.

You can get a better discount by going to MacConnection.com and buying it. I have read a lot of good things about them. The $2499 model is only $2199 on sale as still have Black Friday type discounts posted there.

Use the extra $300 plus savings in taxes for things like a new laptop bag, software you need and etc.

Good luck.

4. six.four macrumors 6502

Maybe a little off topic, but I would always suggest a desktop for a primary computer if possible for professional use, unless portability is of high priority.

You will always get more performance for cheaper with desktops. Along with significantly faster, higher end parts, you'll have greater expandability and flexibility for the future.

If your budget is $2500 - spend $1500 on a refurb Classic 2.5ghz MBP (performance is on par with the 2.53 current gen MBP), and use the remaining $1k to build a solid workstation with a nice monitor.

5. gothamm macrumors 6502a

the base model mbp is more than enough for your needs. do not buy into paying another $500 for a .1 ghz speed bump. the rest of the hardware (RAM, HDD) can be upgraded in the future, relatively cheap.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have 2 plans when for buying stuff:
    1) Will sell in future to buy new
    2) Will keep item, make money, and buy more

Now which one are you planning for?

If it's #1, then get the 2.4GHz base model. After a few years the depreciation between the 2.4GHz and the 2.53GHz will make the selling price difference negligible—you would have saved $500 towards your next acquisition which means upgrading sooner.

If it's #2, then get the best one you can afford and start working! <— I would recommend this. :D

7. ColinEC thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm thinking about just going with the base MBP with a 7200RPM drive and getting 3rd party RAM eventually.

I'll check out that site, thanks!

I'm planning on keeping the laptop for as long as I can, once it becomes too underpowered too use I'll just buy a new desktop for all my heavy work and use the laptop as an internet computer.

8. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Yeah, but what is their return policy? With the fairly high incidences of people receiving defective machines (dents, finger prints under the glass, clicking fans, etc.) I would want to be sure I could have a hassle free return/replacement.