Which MBP for Pro-Level image capture & P-Shop?!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Brad Trent, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Brad Trent macrumors member

Hi guys...

It's finally time for me to retire my ancient MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008) with something newer, but I'm torn over going with the 'Regular' vs. a Retina Display model. I'm a professional photographer and the Number One job for this is image capture. I regularly tether a Hasselblad h-series body using a 33mp Leaf Aptus 75 digital back (using Leaf Capture), so I'm pushing around a lotta data very quickly. I also occasionally tether Canon 5Dmkii's with CaptureOne Pro7. One other thing to consider is that I will probably be upgrading my digital back to either a 60mp or 80mp back within the next year or so, which will effectively double the size of the files I'll be shooting. I do occasionally hafta use Photoshop on the Macbook, but only when I'm pushed, since my usual workflow is to process & retouch on my Mac Pro when I get back to the studio.

My main concerns are the ability to calibrate the laptops screen in order to give me a realistic representation of what the images will look like when I load them onto the Mac Pro and my calibrated retouching monitors. For that reason, I have always stayed with matte screens on my laptops. I get conflicting opinions on whether it's possible to truly calibrate ANY glossy screen, let alone the Retina display. I know the Retina is super-groovy for watching videos, but all that contrast worries me if I can't tone it down.

The 2.7GHz Retina display model with its 16GB RAM and 512GB flash storage is very attractive at $2800.00. The comparable 2.6GHz matte-screened model with a 512GB SSD and only 8GB RAM is $2900.00...a hundred bucks more for a slightly slower processor and half the RAM kinda sucks. I'm pretty sure the 8GB RAM will be fine for the Leaf Capture program...especially since I'll be on an SSD...but Photoshop always runs faster/better/more stable with tons of RAM, so the 16GB on the Retina is a plus. But if that Retina screen can't be calibrated, that's probably not gonna matter.

So....opinions?!!

Thanks!

BT

2. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Any current apple laptop would handle your needs fine, but for optimal performance at a decent price I would get, along with reasons:

15" rMBP - The retina screen and the size is optimal for photography work when on the go.
    256gb SSD - This can go either way. IF you are a person who will only use your laptop when traveling then transfer the data to your Mac Pro I recommend saving money and getting 256gb...however if this is going to be your only computer eventually get the 500.
    16gb RAM - Future proofed.

Total from Apple.com - 2,400 USD

However if you do need the storage get it.

3. Brad Trent thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response, but what exactly are you basing 'optimal' on? I'm sure having the highest resolution makes for pretty images, but if I can't calibrate the display so that it shows me real-world contrast, it's kind of pointless. I'm looking for anyone who can tell me if there are monitor calibration solutions out there that effectively work with the Retina display. I know that when Apple (temporarily) originally ditched the matte screen for glossy, it rendered most calibration tools useless because of the increased contrast. Having the color correct but the contrast off the charts makes it almost impossible to use.

BT