Which MBP for University student studying Graphic design?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pepper Pot, May 28, 2010.

1. Pepper Pot macrumors member

I am a bit stuck between getting the 13" or the 15" because I don't know whether the 15" is really worth £500 more as this will be my first Mac and I don't know too much about them..

I will be carrying it around campus a lot and using Photoshop/Illustrator a lot.

one of my main concerns is whether the screen will be big enough in the long run..

Thanks,
    Peter

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

13" is fine, just get more RAM if needed. The biggest dilemma is portability vs screen estate

3. Still macrumors member

4. canderton macrumors member

I'd go with the 15''. IMO 15'' is the perfect medium between portability and screen real estate. Plus, you'll enjoy the added performance of the core i5 and 330m graphics on the 15'' which will be nice if you'll be using a lot of intensive apps.

5. nrmillions macrumors member

it would be crazy to do graphic design or any kind of professional work on a 13 inch screen. I think you need to decide between 15" or 17".

6. melvinchien macrumors newbie

I agree with canderton, with the exception that if you do plan to get another monitor, I think you can think about the 13". I dont know exactly what you will be doing in PS and Illustrator, but for normal graphics tasks, it should be fine.

7. SonicBoom1981 macrumors regular

I used Macs when I was a graphic design student. I'm now about to start a degree in interactive media design. To me, screen size and screen type were important.

You'd find the 15" to be portable, even if not quite so much as the 13", and you'd probably appreciate the extra screen space of the 15", especially if you went for the HiRes option. In which case you'd probably prefer AntiGlare (Matte), as do most designers/photographers etc.

I've got a 15" i5 HiRes AntiGlare with 4Mbs RAM, and it's great for all graphic design software. The only thing it could do with is more RAM.

Either laptop you mentioned would be good for a graphic designer in my opinion. Just the 15" would be better :)

8. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

9. melvinchien macrumors newbie

although the 17" is powerful, I think that most people would appreciate the portability of a smaller computer in terms of both size and weight. If the OP needs the power, theres always the i7 15"

10. WG5516 macrumors regular

I was in your shoes last summer. I had a 2007 15" MBP and I was being cheap and got the 2009 13" MBP and boy was that a mistake. Sure the 13" is not as heavy but I have a difficult time managing the Photoshop, Illustrator and Web windows while designing. Do yourself a favor and invest in the 15" and save yourself the headaches.

11. Pepper Pot thread starter macrumors member

thanks everyone I've definately made up my mind now, going to go with the 15" :)

Peter