Which MBP - high end 13 or Low end 15?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Celtsfan05, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Celtsfan05 macrumors newbie

Aug 2, 2012
    I am trying to decide between the high end 13-inch MBP or the 15-inch low end version. The retina, while nice is not something that I am interested in just to settle that and get it out of the way. Currently I have a 2008 Macbook that has been through a lot of heavy usage and while it still works, its seen its better days.. think of it as a relatively healthy 12 year old dog - still barks but just doesn't jump off the couch for leftovers as fast or if at all.

Basically for a new laptop, I am looking at something that will last at least 4-5 years without feeling like its outdated after only 2. I plan to use this laptop for somewhat heavy MS office use, web browsing, some digital media viewing, and needing to run multiple programs at once without a slow drag. I will also being using this as my main computer for an evening MBA program in 2013.

My main question centers around if there is really that significant of a difference between i7 dual core and i7 quad core for the kind of stuff I want to do with it, my concerns over speed and multitasking and future proofing the purchase as best I can. The larger screen would be nice too, but I am just interested in knowing how much of a difference there is between the two in terms of speed/performance. The geekbench scores are a nice reference, but that is only to see how they perform while being maxed-out, correct?

Also - Not interested in the MBA - Very sleek design, but no dvd drive kills it for me. The other issue is the specs - it seems to be a half step below the MBPs, though I could be wrong -I'm not a huge tech guy, so please do not jump all over for saying that lol.

Thanks for the help and suggestions!
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    No, there isn't. Screen size is the only thing that will really make a difference to you.