Which MBP/iMac solution for photoshop?..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nexcin, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Nexcin macrumors member

Hey everyone!

Im seeking some advice.

I want to go with a Mac computer as my next one. I love the iMac but since Im a freelance photographer, I also like the portability for when Im on the move.

Initially I was aiming for the 13" and the Cinema 24" display. However, the new 15" MBPs with i5/i7 is looking good for RAW editing and photohop work with large files. How much of a difference is there between i5 and i7?..

I have also thought about getting the 13" for when Im on the move and the small iMac for work home, due to the larger display. (Ive heard that it should be possible to use the iMac as display with the MPB too?..)

Gaming is secondary, since I have a PS3.

So, should I aim for a 13"+24" display or hit the 15" with the High-res option and the i5 or i7? As for memory, 4gigs is okay, i plan on upgrading later on, since its cheaper.

Thanks in advance, any advice is appreciated! :)

Regards

(PS: I dont want the matte display, I can easilly calibrate with Pantone calibrator on the glossy one and I never edit in full light anyways.)

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Go for the 15" - you don't really need the i7, but the i5 will suit you well (as well has have greater longevity and resale value). Around the outside, the 15" is not much larger than the 13", but it seems to have much, much more screen real estate, especially for things like PS with all those little (and necessary) windows, allowing you to easily work on the go if necessary.

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Cant use the 21" iMac as a second display, only the 27" w/Radeon 4850.

Id go with the 15" i5 + second screen.

Probably *not* the Apple one. If I was going to spend $900 on a screen, Id spend another $100 on a 27" Dell U2711. Im a big fan of Dell screens.

4. Nexcin thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your input. :)

I will go with the 15" with hi-res display. But. due to the price, i wont be able to afford a second display. However. i dont mind editing on the 15" monitor as long as its calibrated.

So, let me get this right one more time, the i5 is sufficient enough compared to the i7 CPU?

Regards.