Which MBP is better?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by leovideo, Oct 10, 2009.

1. leovideo macrumors newbie

I am wondering which one is better (same price):

1) Current Model Mid-end version - MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / L2 Cache 3MB shared / 9600M GT (256M) and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M (256M) / built-in battery that lasts up to 7 hours on a single charge/ 4G RAM 320G HD

2) Previous Model high-end version - MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / L2 Cache 6MB shared / 9600M GT (512M) and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M (256M) / replaceable battery/ 4G RAM 320G HD

Thanks!

2. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

If I had to make that decision, I would definitely go for the previous gen one.

Superior in every way except for the battery. And the battery isn't bad at all on the last gen, it lasts 5 hours which is usually more than enough time to find a plugin.

If you need more battery time, thats where a replaceable battery comes in, take multiple!

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Go for the older one. Its better in every way pretty much except the battery, which still serves plenty of life (5 hrs).

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

New MBP: Better battery, SD slot
    Old MBP: ExpressCard slot (can easily be a SD card slot with a reader), more VRAM.

5. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

I'd go with the new one, old battery capacity is bad :p

6. xemino Guest

get the new one.
    big plus, atleast for me: matte screen!

i'm so glad i had the luck to swap my late08 for a mid09 w/ matte screen!

7. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

I'd go for the older model but the battery does kinda suck. You'll never ever get close to five hours. Even with 9400m, maybe 3:45 mins. Their numbers were inflated a lot. Invest in a second battery to match the battery life of the newer model.

8. leovideo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all for the advice!

One last question: Is there a huge different in speed for both cpu one with 3MB L2 cache and one with 6MB?

Thanks!

9. Tarek macrumors 6502

There definitely is a difference but not a very noticed one. So yeah, go for the older version, you'll love it, and at least you'll save some bucks ;:rolleyes:.

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Nope.

For the vast majority of consumers the processor speed means nothing nowadays. The bottlenecks come from the HDD and a lack of RAM (which neither suffer from). Only people who really need to crunch the numbers (video encoding etc.) will worry about processor speed.

11. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

I always live by the mantra of always get as much bang for your buck no matter how old the machine as you will be future-proofing your investment for years to come.

12. TheWelshBoyo macrumors 6502

You really have NO idea what future proofing means, do you?
    Honestly, please. Stop freakin' talking about future proofing.
    Its like a buzzword to you. You have no understanding of what it means.

13. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Why not EXPLAIN what it means to you instead of being perpetually rude to others. :rolleyes:

14. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

Because you are highly obnoxious and we would rather not deal with it

15. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

I'm not the one going around such such terms as "stupid", "dumb", "idiot"...

16. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

You can definitely tell that the current one was designed around power savings.

17. 251920 macrumors member

I had to make the same choice and I went for the mc026. The prev gen.
    The new one is weaker, especially the video 512mb vs 256mb.
    The new one is sorta underclocked version of the mc026 in order to save the battery.
    I'd go for the mc026(prev one).

18. RayK macrumors 6502

Previous Gen. Battery is a big deal for me. Being able to switch them is a must for some. Hope you enjoy whatever you get!

19. polaris20 macrumors 68020

No, but you are the one trolling every thread with information of questionable relevance.

Here's some information for you: you can't future proof any piece of rapidly developing technology, no matter who makes it. Your MacBook will be just as obsolete as both of mine will be when the Arrandales come out. The process may be slower, it may be faster, but it will always happen.

Also, a MacBook Pro is a MacBook Pro. It's not a "Bad Boy Pro". Feel free to continue using that phrase, however we'll all feel free to think you're a adolescent troll.