Which MBP is smooth like the old non retina MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bcodemz, Jan 24, 2016.

1. bcodemz, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016

bcodemz macrumors member

I've had a late 2013 13'' rMBP for almost 2 years now, and now I've been given the old non retina 13'' Macbook Pros for work (but it has i7, 8GB RAM, and 256GB SSD). Initially I dreaded using it because of the horrible screen, but now I'm liking it more than my rMBP because it is just so much snappier and no animations lag. Even a simple command + W, f, enter to open a new tab on Safari and go to Facebook is instant on the old MBP while lags noticeably on my rMBP, to the point sometimes it can't keep up with the speed and searches the letter "f" on Google instead of going to Facebook.

Is there a rMBP now that performs like the old MBP's? Or is it OS X just dying under the stress of the retina screen and there's no hope?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

What version of OSX are you using?

I have no complains about my 13" 2015 rMBP.

3. bcodemz thread starter macrumors member

My rMBP is on El Captain, which is a lot better than Yosemite in terms of reducing lag. The non retina MBP is on Yosemite, so I can't imagine it getting even better when they allow us to upgrade to El Captain.

I thought my rMBP was fine as well, until I used the old MBP and realized what I was missing.

4. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

I've have no complaints using my rMbp. I don't notice any lag using the system in my sig.

5. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Yes, it's going to be not as smooth as a cMBP; although if you are using the default scaling I'd say the smoothness is the best.

In general, you stop noticing after a week or so.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have an older 2012 model, that some people complained about lagging, but to be honest, I didn't really notice anything.

8. MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

AND: You can still upgrade it - just as you want to do !

9. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I have a 2012 non retina pro and yes, I've noticed this on Retina MacBooks, every time I use one. El Capitan seems to have improved things, but it still bothers me a bit.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not the ram, its soldered onto the logic board. I'm not really using the MBP, as my SP3 replaced it for most of my travel needs but I don't see any reason to upgrade the SSD portion which is upgradeable.