Which MBP model? 2.4 or 2.5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by redundantsilent, Mar 6, 2008.

1. redundantsilent macrumors newbie

I am going to get a new macbook pro 15'. The 2.5 model is $500 more than the 2.4 model. Is this extra speed really worth it? I am going to be editing some video on it in Final Cut, so I don't know if it will really be that big of a difference...

2. wildmilne macrumors regular

The three ugprades would be 256mb more vram, twice the L2 cache and the processor bump...whether or not its worth the price in gained performance is hard to tell..keep looking out for benchmarks/comparisons i guess.

3. matperk macrumors 6502

I think if you're doing a good amount of work in Final Cut Pro it would be worth it. You'd get some rendering speed out of it, especially with the upgraded video card. I can render h.264 -> h.264 10 minute files in just slightly slower than real time. The cache would also help you open all those FCS apps a bit faster. Plus the benefit of upgraded HD from the base config.

4. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Unless you're getting a discount to cut down the price difference to like $250 or less between the two models then no it's not worth it. The T9500 is only marginally faster than the T8300 and that's in benchmarks. In real world use you never actually feel those small differences unless you're doing heavily CPU dependent tasks such as video encoding that takes a long period of time to complete. In those cases it will shave off a few minutes here and there but still not really worth it. The 512MB video memory isn't worth it period because the 8600M GT used only has a 128-bit memory bus so due to that bottleneck it's not going to make use of much more than 256MB of memory. The extra 50 gigs of hard drive isn't much of an upgrade either. You can buy a much larger external drive for storage or upgrade the hard drive aftermarket yourself.