Which MBP model for me? (I know, popular topic, looking for some specifics)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NBarnes21, Apr 14, 2010.

1. NBarnes21 macrumors member

Long time lurker, 1st time poster. I know this has been asked but I haven't seen how capable the models are of running Logic and Final Cut be addressed.

Like many here I've been holding out for the new MBPs, but now that the 13" still has a Core 2 Duo I'm torn on which one I need. If they'd stuck the i3 in the 13" it would be a no brainer, but now I am debating between the 13" and 15" models.

I use my computer every day several hours a day, it's a big part of my life. Besides internet and email, I mostly use the iLife suite (iWeb for my website, iPhoto for my photos, iTunes for my music, etc.) but I also do a lot of recording in Logic Express and video editing in Final Cut Express. I like the portability, extended battery life, and reduced weight of the 13" model, but I want to make sure it would be able to handle the video and audio editing I spend a lot of time doing.

So which one should I go with? If I get the 13" it will definitely be fully loaded with the 8GB RAM, faster CPU, and larger hard drive. As far as the 15", I have no idea which model would I need. Would one of the cheaper 15" models do all I need it to do, or do I need to get some upgrades to make sure it will run Final Cut and Logic as smoothly as possible? Do I need 8GB ram for this stuff?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

2. NBarnes21 thread starter macrumors member

3. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

What machine/specs are you using now? to figure out your RAM requirements check your page outs (if using a mac).

I think you should get the 15 and buy RAM later – it may be cheaper then and you have a faster mac with it.

4. NBarnes21 thread starter macrumors member

I've got a rev 2 15" macbook pro with the 2.16 core duo and 2 GB RAM, it runs everything pretty smoothly but there is a bit of lag when using final cut.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

An i3 has integrated Intel graphics. Why would you want that as your sole video system? Yuck. The C2D is fine. It's not the new kid so everyone is grumpy, but I have no issues w/ my 2.2Ghz 13" MBP's speed. The SSD makes it a joy.

I have both a 13 and 15". 13" is my fav. I don't travel at all w/ my 15" anymore b/c the 13 is so perfect. I have a i5 15" on order. It may be the last 15" I ever buy as I'm assuming the 13" will have an i5 this time next year and I'll dump the 15 and get an ext. monitor for one of them.

6. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

You'll find it a pain going from 15 to 13. Get the 15, see how 4gigs suits, save for the extra RAM 3rd party if you need more.

7. NBarnes21 thread starter macrumors member

cool thanks. so do you think the mid-range 15" model would suffice or do I need to pony up for the i7 model (mostly to get the 512 video card)?