which MBP model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Harryt223, Feb 18, 2008.

  1. Harryt223 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    #1
    Hey everyone.. I just need some advice.

    I am interested in the macbook pro and noticed 3 models. I am interested in one of the 1st two here: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...ly/macbook_pro

    So I'm wondering.. is the 2nd model WORTH the extra $600 bucks for 40GB HD, 0.2GHZ processor, and another 128MB added on the gfx card??

    I was thinking it might be a better idea to buy the 1st model.. and buy some more ram eg. 4GB and an external HD.. from a local PC store and that would save me more money.. less than $600 for sure...?

    anyone else got any input.

    PS: I need this laptop for FinalCut Pro usage..
     
  2. ipo macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2007
    #2
    well

    dude, read !
    check out the news - wait 1-2 weeks and buy the new one.
    If you still insist on buying the old ones / the ones you're looking at / choose the first one. Those 128 MB of vram are rare to be used.
     
  3. Joko macrumors 6502

    Joko

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2008
    #3
    I think you'll find it's actually 0.4Ghz difference when you add the dual processors.
     
  4. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

    digitalpencil

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Location:
    Manchester, UK
    #4
    As you said, it's dual-core so it's not 0.4ghz increase it's 0.2x2 which might not sound that different but is.
    The added 0.2ghz makes less difference than doubling your VRAM which can help a lot with modern games. However, in terms of cost vs performance, it's probably more worth your while to max your RAM to 4gb and buy a nice EXT HDD. Of course this is all largely contingent upon what you intend on doing with the machine. TBH though i'd agree with ipo in saying that it's worth hanging fire as current speculation would indicate that a MBP hardware refresh is imminent.
     
  5. Praetorian® macrumors regular

    Praetorian®

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2008
    Location:
    Czech Republic
    #5
    Whoa, you can guarantee the new MBP will be released in less than 2 weeks? :rolleyes:
     
  6. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2008
    Location:
    Memphis, TN
    #6
    I, too, am in a similar boat to you, OP.

    I need a new laptop, and its going to be a(n) MBP. However, I need it SOON! So, if they don't release the new ones on February 26th, then I'm going to buy a refurb. The only problem is, which refurb to buy!

    At most, I'll be playing something like CoD4. So, I'm not sure that the extra 128 VRAM will be worth it.

    Either way, I'd probably sell the refurb when Montevina came out.

    So, I'll probably talk myself into the 2.2GHz refurb and save $400. I just want that 7200rpm, which is not a refurb option.
     
  7. markrivers macrumors 6502a

    markrivers

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    Valencia, California
    #7
    if you must buy now.. go for the $1999 one, then entry level MBP. then spend some of your money with RAM upgrade from 3rd party people. . it's way costly to let apple upgrade this for you.
     
  8. djellison macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2007
    Location:
    Pasadena CA
    #8
    No. Don't. Don't play that idiotic game waiting for a refresh. Go and buy a refurb 2.2 Ghz machine right now. It's an awesome laptop, and a new machine in 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 10 weeks time will not change that. We're rapidly reaching the point where it will be time to wait for the new Monte platform.

    Waiting is a fools game.

    Want a bigger HDD - do it yourself, it really isn't that scarey - but a 7200 RPM drive will not give you a significant performance boost.
     
  9. deniser macrumors 6502

    deniser

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2007
    Location:
    Cornwall, England
    #9
    This is exactly what I have done, my 2.4 256mb vram refurb is now in prepared for shipment within an hour of ordering it.
     
  10. Harryt223 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    #10
    Well guys, I stated.. I really JUST need a laptop for FinalCut Pro eg. HD video editing and maybe for Photoshop, Flash..

    Someone else told me that a new macbook pro is coming out too... :confused:
     

Share This Page