Which MBP Model...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by prmccarron, May 23, 2010.

?

Which MBP model would you get?

1. 13" with 8 GB RAM

18.5%
  2. 15" with 4 GB RAM

81.5%
  1. prmccarron macrumors regular

prmccarron

I'm trying to decide which MBP model I should get. I was going to get the 13" with 8 GB RAM, but I also kind of like the 15". If I got the 15", though, it would be with only 4 GB RAM. Speed is definitely important, I'm ready to get rid of my 256 MB RAM iMac for sure. Which should I get? I want to get it soon and want it to be really fast (13"), but I also kind of want a bigger screen (15")
    Anyone else thinking the same?
    THX.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

15" if only because I like the bigger screen, and I have no idea what you're doing that might need 8GB of RAM.

3. Sanderr macrumors regular

Really depends on what you are going to use it for ;)

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's impossible to say if you don't hint about your usage. Keep in mind that RAM is upgradeable but CPU, GPU, screen etc aren't. I would get 15" and upgrade RAM later on if needed

5. Hadron macrumors regular

You can always upgrade the RAM later, while you can't change the screen or the size of the laptop. So I'd base the choice of model on whether the extra screen real estate is more important to you than the extra bulk of a bigger laptop.

6. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Go 13" 4GB and spend the savings on an SSD if you can. Turn your default HDD into a portable external drive and carry your stuff around in it.

7. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Option A - You have a legitimate need for 8GB of RAM - Go for the 13"

Option B - You think you need 8GB of RAM but don't know why (because more is better?) - Take RAM out of the equation, you can alway add it in latter if you find yourself in option A. Now ask your self if you would rather have a bigger screen or a lighter laptop with longer battery life.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Why would you assume that the 13" MBP is faster? So what if you got it with 8 GB of RAM. Big deal. You'd still have a slower Core 2 Duo processor, while you'd never really need the 8 GB of RAM to make it worth the money. I assume this because if you actually did media work where 8 GB of RAM may be needed, you'd know the difference between the two systems and wouldn't be asking us for advice.

9. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

+1 well said sir!

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Get the 15" with 4GB of RAM, then if you need more ya can always upgrade. And if you buy the RAM 3rd party you could get 6GB, if you don't quite need 8GB, but 4GB isn't quite enough:D