Which MBP?? Ready to buy!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wwe2008, Mar 22, 2011.

1. wwe2008 macrumors 6502

I've finally got the money for a high end 15" MBP but now I don't know whether its a good idea, I can get edu discount and I will use it for editing videos, putting two or more videos together and then exporting them, plus school work such as typing, email internet, some electronic programmes. plus I really like the idea of hi res... Im not a PC gamer at the moment but as with anything, this can all change! Also the higher GB storage in the high end is a bonus
    any ideas asap please because I'm ready to buy!!

2. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I'd say go for it, if you have the money, and want to spend it, why not? most people will say you don't need a high end 15". I'd rather spend £1000-2000 on a mac laptop that will last me years, than spend £1000-2000 on 3-4 windows laptops that will last be 1-2 years. But it's really up to you, if you want a fantastic machine go for the mac. My mac is even faster than my 2 year old Core 2 Duo gaming PC lol :D

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

If I were buying the 15 in MBP, I would prefer the hires version. It all depends on your preferences and priorities. One thing I suggest you add is an external drive for Time Machine backups. Macs are reliable but they can still crash. I wouldn't bother with the SSD upgrades at this time as they are just too darn expensive.

You mention getting the edu discount. If you are in college, you might consider the 13 in MBA. It is smaller and lighter (and thus easier to cart around to classes) and has higher resolution than the 13 in MBP. Of course it's considerably slower but it comes with SSD. Lastly, just because you can afford the 15 inch hi res MBP doesn't obligate you to buy one. You could get the 15 in normal res MBP and pick up an iPad to take to classes.

All this being said, there is no reason you shouldn't just go for the 15 in hi res MBP. I'm just bringing up other options not so much as a distraction but as a way to offer alternatives that can help you consider all the tradeoffs (before you spend the money).

hope this helps...

4. wwe2008 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah I have waiting for the money to clear and just dreaming about the high end, and now I'm reconsidering haha
    Well I do want it it to last me a while or have a high resell value, like I say I never know what programs, games etc I'll be using in 6th months so rather be prepared especially on programmes that really need horsepower...
    the only thing, I have many old and average quality videos that look okay my 17" intel imac, what will they look like on a glossy screen? better or worse due to resolution etc

5. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

6. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

7. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

8. wwe2008 thread starter macrumors 6502

i do? stick with the high end? i suppose I can always sell and downgrade if necessary

9. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

10. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

High end 15" with high res screen. I'd go antiglare but most like glossy. Depends if you need to actually use it during the day or not.:p

11. eaf7s macrumors regular

I'm with everyone else--you don't need the 15" per se, but you probably won't regret getting it, either. I mean, if you can afford it...the only thing I would say is consider saving the money and getting the low-end, and spending the different on peripherals--nice speakers, external monitor & keyboard/mouse etc. It's really nice as a student to have a desktop setup.

12. soulatwar macrumors newbie

I am waiting for the delivery of my high-end 15" macbook pro that I ordered last week.

I will be using it for music creating/recording/editing on ableton and most likely protools as well as photo and video editing on the usual programs.

While researching which book to buy, someone somewhere recommending that I get the 7200rpm drive which i did (free upgrade by downgrading to 500gb). I also upgraded to the hr anti-gloss.
    :apple:

13. grayh0und macrumors newbie

Go with the high end 15" and the high res screen. I was in the same boat, but bit the bullet, and don't have any regrets.

14. wwe2008 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple has taken my money and it should ship by Friday... Will they ask me for proof yet or later??
    Plus anyone know a bag that can fit books etc plus a 15 MBP in a booq vyper in??