Which MBP should I buy??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ActingTarheel, Feb 26, 2011.

1. ActingTarheel macrumors newbie

Hey all!

I am a high school senior about to go into college, and am looking to buy one of the new 2011 macbooks for school.

I mainly use: web, email, word processing, iMovie/Garageband and the Sims 3. I want a laptop that will be extremely fast especially using safari and able to edit videos/songs seamlessly. Thanks!

Also, what are some tips on keeping the computer fast. I have a 2008 unibody macbook and it is a bit bogged down now...

Budget: $2,000 but prefer lower than that

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Any of them will handle that, but Id go for a 15"er (any of them), as its superbly fast and will handle GarageBand and iMovie for years to come, as well as the Sims.

3. miabadboys macrumors member

miabadboys

The 15" is nice but for running around town/flying/on campus the 13" is easier to handle and has the horsepower to do a lot. Its up to you how much weight you want to lug around.

4. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Any of the MBP's will fit your needs the second you get an SSD.

SSD will be the most dramatic upgrade you'll ever do. WORTH IT!

5. Danv macrumors newbie

A little threadjacking :D

I'm trying to figure out the good MB to choose for my gf.

If she would've need a MacBook for all of that (web, Word, Sims 3) minus video editing, will a MBA11 or 13 be good enough ? If yes, low or high end ?

For myself, I'll rather get a high-end MBA or a MBP but I am not sure for the girlfriend!

Don't wanna spend money for nothing :apple:

6. urkel macrumors 68030

7. v2kea412 macrumors member

Why carry both? lol... I would want a one stop shop kind of solution. Oh wait...I thought i had that file on my iPad....must be on my MBP.... Am I missing something?

8. Gruber macrumors regular

Make sure you ask her for some of her preferences. Some tradeoffs are to be made.

For the suggested applications, all form factors would be fast enough. But:

11in Air: super-light (which is great for a girl), but limited SSD size (she will probably carry music and pics) and no drive (i.e. no watching DVD on the go). You should probably go for 4GB (resale value; no way to upgrade).
    If you are feeling adventurous, you can upgrade the SSD yourself later, though.
    Also, you will need to invest in an external display to use at home (much nicer solution than a 15in MBP if you have the room on your desk).

The tradeoff between the 13in Air and 13in MBP is mostly weight vs. DVD. Also, all MBPs come with a sharp corner at the front side, which some people find annoying.

The 15in is slightly heavy for my taste, but the screen has a very useful size (something my girlfriend insists on). The difference in gaming speed between the base version and the upgraded one is serious, but unfortunately, so is the price. The difference is larger than the price for a PS3 or a 2nd hand gaming PC.

Which screen should you get? I like non-glossy, but that is only available on the MBA and as an option on the 15in MBP. Also, you will have to take the larger resolution, and because even Lion will not yet support resolution independence (rumors to the contrary are myths, really), the UI will become very tiny. So, buy the lowest resolution you can get (the opposite advice would be true for Windows). But your eyesight and preferences might vary from mine.

All Macs are fast enough for everything except serious gaming and video. The base versions are better than the high end versions of two years ago, and both apps and OS did not change. SSDs make a huge difference, so if you can afford them, go for them. You can also go for aftermarket solutions, like OWC, which are larger, cheaper and slightly faster than Apple's. If you put off buying an SSD, they will make a nice Xmas present later on, and will have become cheaper, too.

Do not forget to invest into external harddrives for backups.

9. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Any of the base MBP's would be fine for you. Getting the 2.3 GHz Quad core isnt going to make safari any snappier. As for the SSD, if 2000 is your budget, its out of the question if your looking for a high capacity SSD. I have a 7200 RPM drive and i have no complaints over its speed. Take advantage of your student discount.